Desired start date: 18/05/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Solidarités International HQ (Clichy)
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For almost 40 years, our organization has worked towards meeting the three basic needs – water, food and shelter – of vulnerable and crisis-affected populations, and has been more specifically committed to fight against waterborne diseases, leading cause of death in the world. SI’s interventions are carried out based on its expertise in the field of access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential ones of food security and livelihoods. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL is currently present in about 20 countries where SI staff – a total of 2,000 people comprising expatriates, local staff, HQ employees and some volunteers – implements programs with professionalism and commitment whilst being mindful of respecting other cultures.
Thetasks are transversal and therefore require autonomy, flexibility, precision and versatility. Knowledge of, or at least a desire to understand the humanitarian environment and its constraints are essential.
The tasks described in this announcement are subject to change based on the ongoing projects at HQ and as needed.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONALis committed to offer the intern a variety of tasks and an internal pre-departure training that can meaning fully strengthen its training/experience towards a future humanitarian commitment. This internship provides an opportunity to comprehend effectively the functioning of a humanitarian NGO, its constraints and different approaches.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
MAIN MISSIONS OF THE INTERNSHIP:
- Provide assistance to the Desk Manager, the Desk Program Manager and the Desk Grants Manager in the execution of necessary administrative tasks and management of SI’s programs in Bangladesh, Myanmar and Nigeria.
- Provide general support to the Desk’s missions.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE INTERNSHIP:
- To assist the Desk team in the execution of the administrative tasks necessary to manage the Desk’s missions;
- To ensure a proper program follow-up with the Program Manager (operational monitoring and follow-up of the projects implemented on the field);
- To ensure a proper contractual follow-up with the Grants Manager (donor relations, respect of procedures, and reporting process);
- To understand and be familiar with the various programs and areas of expertise of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL;
- To understand and be familiar with the humanitarian and geopolitical context in the countries covered by the Desk: Bangladesh, Myanmar and Nigeria.
- To master the tools related to project cycle management;
- To master SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL internal procedures and those specific to the main humanitarian donors;
- To liaise and ensure the flow of information among several interlocutors (Desk, HQ, field and donors).
- Ensure that all contractual/administrative requests from the field are dealt with;
- Establishment and maintenance of the continuity in follow-up procedures: program reporting planning, organizational charts, program cards, contact lists, donor contacts, etc.;
- Support in reviewing project proposals and reports. Developing a critical eye and making suggestions are a must;
- Update of the pack expats and country profiles;
- Contextual and program briefing of expats;
- Archiving of program documents (paper and electronic);
- Liaise with the other HQ departments (Direction, RH, Log, Communication);
- Support the monitoring of the various programs (intermediate and final reports deadlines, extensions, etc.);
- Participate in the institutional knowledge building of the projects undertaken by SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL;
- Geopolitical context and news monitoring on the aforementioned countries;
- In the absence of the Desk Manager, Desk Program Manager and Desk Grants Manager, maintain the contact with the missions.
- Master degree in humanitarian action or project management, development, international relations, political sciences, WaSH or agronomy studies.
- Strong written and spoken English (C1/C2) given that the Desk works with English speaking missions, fluent French
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL
- Strong interest and motivation for non-profit and humanitarian aid
- Willingness to work on the field
- International work experience is an asset
- Excellent writing skills in English and French
- Critical thinking and analysis, autonomy, rigor, reactivity, organization, efficiency, work capacity, proactive and critical mind are a must
- Ability to work under stress
- Discover how the Headquarters of a NGO works, and understand the relationship between the Field and HQ;
- Discover the different professions of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL on the field;
- Gain practical knowledge on the project cycle management and technical aspects of SI’s projects by attending to monthly internal trainings.
- Put in practice the project cycle management tools;
- Have a first approach on the functioning of a mission and its specific constraints;
- Understand the relationships between the different humanitarian actors;
- Be familiar with donor’s requirements;
- Direct contact with the Field through the expatriates;
- Discover the strategy of an NGO and its elaboration;
- Master the understanding of the humanitarian issues, analysis of priorities and needs identification of the Desk’s countries.
- Master SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s and main donors’ procedures
SI WILL OFFER YOU
- The intern must have a French “titre de séjour étudiant”
- This internship requires an internship agreement with a university.
- This internship is a fulltime position only.
- The allowance is calculated in proportion to the actual hours of attendance over the month (on average, 154 hours a month – 22 days, 7 hours per day)
- 50% of transport costs (Navigo Pass) covered by SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL
- 60% of the monthly cost of tickets restaurant (value: 8.9€ per working day).
- 2 days of paid leaves per months
Please send your CV and Cover letter (in English) before the 3rdof May to Sarah DUPONT at email@example.com.
Please name the object of your email: APPLICATION ASSIST PROG ASIA & NIGERIA
Application closing date: 03/05/2020
Tests & Interviews: Week of the 4thof May
Start date: 18/05/2020
THANK YOU NOT TO CLICK ON THE BUTTON BELOW “POSTULER”, BUT APPLY ONLY TO THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS.