SI recruits 01 Logistics manager (H/F) – AL MOKHA
Desired start date: 20/11/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months (subject to funding)
Location: Al Mokha – Yemen
ABOUT THE MISISON
SI opened its mission in Yemen in 2017, establishing its coordination in Aden. With the support of the Emergency DESK, SI mission was able to quickly acquire operational capacity, which was first deployed in Lahj Governorate, for implementation of WASH and Food Security Programming. Over the course of 2018, SI expanded the geographical scope of its intervention, and established presence in Al Turbah and Al Mokha in Taizz Governorate.
With the opening of Al Mokha base late 2018, SI was one of the first humanitarian actors to start operations on the “West Coast”, which are now covering the southern districts of Hodeidah Governorate, close to one of the main frontlines of the conflict.
For the year 2020/21; the mission has a forecasted budget of about 8M Euros. It operates from Aden, where the coordination is based, and 2 operational field bases located in Al Turbah and Al Mokha. The mission is composed of 15 expatriates and about 100 national staffs and is funded by OFDA, CDC, YHPF, DutchMoFA and ECHO. SI Programming in Yemen focuses on addressing the vital needs of affected populations (IDPs and hosts) – water and food. This is done through timely response to displaced persons, to host communities at risk of famine, as well as providing timely response to populations faced by AWD/Cholera or other disease outbreaks. For SI, WASH is undertaken as a primary survival need for households, but more important as a contribution towards elimination of waterborne disease and generating positive impact on the health of individuals and communities. SI portfolio is primarily composed of WASH Emergency projects integrating early recovery, along with unconditional cash distribution. Strategic and institutional priorities for the mission in 2020/21 is to strengthen its Emergency Response capacity, and develop operational capacity in the Field Offices, while progressively phasing into resilience programming.
ABOUT THE JOB
SI is looking for an emergency-focused, proactive and intuitive collaborator able to lead operations in highly insecure environments who will ensure the implementation of SI procedures and their compliance, while supporting the Al Mokha base on all logistics aspects.
Responsibilities and main activities:
- Implementing and supervising all logistics operations
- Organizing logistics support for programs and managing all the premises and equipment in keeping with Solidarités International procedures.
- Managing the logistic team (3 assistants and 3 officers / drivers / guards) which may increase or decrease depending on the scale of the project and the base.
- Assisting the Field Coordinator in the implementation of the passive safety rules.
The main challenges and priorities:
He/she will be in charge of the daily implementation of the routine logistics tasks in addition to:
– Ensuring a suitable settlement in SI new premises (office and guest house moving in December 2020);
– Ensuring the sub-base in Al Khowkha city is functional and can absorb higher logistics workload.
– Ensuring suitable launch of logistics activities to be performed under new grants (3 new project expected to start from November to March 2021);
– Strongly working on logistics assistants’ capacity building
Education and experience
- Technical education and significant experience in logistics
- Previous experience as a Logs Manager (1-2 year) is a prerequisite;
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of the Yemen or Middle East countries appreciated;
- Multi-project support experience;
- Interest in finance and HR is an asset
Knowledge and technical skills
- Expertise on local procurement and supply chain management;
- Experience in new base setup and facilities management;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Capacity building skills highly appreciated;
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
- Great work and stress management capacities;
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments;
- Good and proven written and spoken English are required;
- Arabic speaking is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 1980 euros gross per month)
and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The living conditions in Al Mokha are good even though movements are very restricted (early curfew and most of the city being considered as no-go or restricted areas). Trips to the field is possible for expatriates under certain condition but are limited to keep the presence of international staff low profile. SI is one of the only INGOs have permanent expatriate presence in Al Mokha, despite the fact that many NGO have offices there. Opportunities for social gathering are hence limited.
Specific constraints related to security:
The situation in terms of security remains tense in Al Mokha and its surrounding, due to the proximity of the frontline and the presence of several military groups. Main identified threats for Al Mokha are crossfire (wrong location at the wrong moment) and road accidents.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/