Accounting Manager– Sénégal (Casamance, Southern Sénégal)
Shelter For Life International (SFL) is a Christian Relief and Development organization with over 30 years of history in providing humanitarian assistance to post conflict countries. SFL is currently operational in Afghanistan, Liberia and Senegal. Our Headquarters is located in Minnetonka, MN. SFL provides support and assistance in the following areas:
- . Shelter and Population Settlement
- . Application of Microcredit
- . Agricultural Development and Food Security
- . Reconstruction of Physical and Market Infrastructure; i.e., farm-to-market roads, irrigation systems, food storage, etc.
SFL’s mission is to Demonstrate God’s love by enabling people affected by conflict and disaster to
restore their lives and rebuild their communities. You can learn more about us at: www.shelter.org.
We are currently looking for an Accounting Manager to serve on a new regional project based in Senegal. This position will be responsible to manage and supervise the day-to-day activities of field accounting department.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department including: assets, accounts payable, general ledger, expenditures and payroll
- Monitoring and analyzing accounting data and produce financial reports or statements
- Supervise and direct field accountants
- Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions
- Responsible for month end and year end closing
- Provide cash flow analysis – Maintain records of cash advances received from Head Quarter and project cash accounts, provide daily cash available balance of all cash accounts to management when requested
- Reconcile assets, liabilities, revenue and expense accounts to supporting documents and schedules on a monthly basis.
- Assure expenditures are in accordance with code balances for item acquisition. Keep CFO and Chief of party informed as to the balances of internal accounts.
- Ensure internal control policies and procedures are properly implemented and maintained
- Ensure all accounting information, records and supporting documents are accurate, complete and in accordance with GAAP and Federal grant agreement requirements.
- Ensure compliance with SFL’s Field Operation Manual and U.S. Government accounting policies.
- Gather and provide information, prepare schedules and analysis, organize supporting documents for year-end financial statements and A-133 audits.
- Provide necessary checks and balances with technical, administrative, logistics & procurement, and management staff in compliance with the U.S. Office of Management and Budget requirements
- Assist in the development, maintenance and analysis of organizational and program budgets
- Prepare and process bi-monthly payroll.
- Supervise and review cash in safe and related records
- Approve payment vouchers prepared by staff accountants for payments; review that invoices and all required accurate and complete supporting documents are attached to the disbursement voucher to approve the payment.
- Perform special projects as assigned by SFL-CFO
- Oversee and communicate with headquarters accounting staff, ensuring the following:
- Expenditures are recorded to the proper account and Project
- Project(s) are within budgeted guidelines
- Accounting data and documents are forwarded on a monthly basis to the SFL HQ office
- Internal control processes and procedures are in place and being adhered to
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Proven working experience as Accounting Manager
- Minimum of five 5 years’ experience.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
- Proven knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP), practices , standards and regulations
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
- Advanced computer skills on MS office and QuickBooks accounting software.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and French
- Experienced with all phases of the general ledger
- Non-profit or NGO experience.
- Master’s degree, or higher, in Accounting.
- 1+ years of prior experience living and working in Africa
- A minimum of 12+ months of commitment to live and work in Senegal is required.
Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume in English to : …..