Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: One year
Reports: Program Director
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Grants & Reporting Officer will be an integral member of the Grants Unit with RI in Afghanistan. The Grants Unit serves as the facilitator for grants management processes in country and ensures compliance with donor requirements at all stages of the project lifecycle. The Grants Unit’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, maintaining grants related information and files, leading and supporting on proposal development processes, managing reporting deadlines, producing high-quality program reports and donor updates, and developing internal and external communication materials. He/she will also help support monthly grant review and budget review meetings in close collaboration with the Program Director, relevant Program Managers, and RI’s Finance Manager.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Grants Management & Reporting
- Liaise with RSO and GSO (Grants & Contracts) to ensure timely award and grant amendment processing
- Support the program, finance and operations team throughout the entire grant/project lifecycle. This includes:
- Ensure program involvement throughout budget development
- Work with the Program Director and relevant Program Managers to support mobilization of projects
- Support recruitment and procurement planning with program teams during mobilization and regular project/BVA reviews
- Support the facilitation of grant opening / close out meetings, monthly grant review meetings, and mid project review meetings in collaboration with the Finance Manager and Program Director
- Coordinate the development of sub-grant agreements and any subsequent modifications;
- Lead, follow up, and coordinate the timely close out of grant contracts
- Work closely with the program and finance teams to develop standard reporting templates, and a reporting calendar for all report submissions (establishing clear internal and external deadlines)
- Share email reminders each month with reporting templates that will support improved narrative and logframe reporting and timely donor submissions
- Maintain knowledge of grant agreement language and regulations, serving as a knowledge resource on assigned donors and escalating questions where needed.
- Raise compliance issues proactively with the Finance and Operations Manager, and Program Director.
- Support the back up of important program documentation to RI’s internal server (Box) for Afghanistan Programs. This includes BVA review session meeting notes, spend down plans and work plans for all grants, and other project documentation.
- Support the development of high quality proposals and budgets that are relevant and include input from key stakeholders (finance, operations, programs, partners, etc.). This may include leading needs assessments, compiling/editing of the technical narrative, incorporating feedback from a variety of stakeholders, writing budget narratives, drafting of required annexes, etc.
- Work closely with grant counterparts in DC and Manila to ensure coordination and adherence to proposal timelines and requirements.
- Conduct field brainstorming meetings (e.g. co-facilitate program design and lessons learned meetings) and synthesize informational for technical proposals, competitive positioning, and strategic decision-making
- Conduct regular donor mapping as needed, collating cross-sector information management and drafting funding requests in coordination with the Program Dir
Representation, Communication, & Coordination:
- Participate in sector/cluster working groups in collaboration with technical program leads as needed.
- Develop capacity statements to facilitate regular donor communication and updates. This includes consolidated monthly “RI Afghanistan Country Updates” and grant/donor specific updates as needed.
- Ensure efficient and effective information management and communication on RI grants. This includes updating RSO and GCU colleagues on amendment processes, and communicating internally with Finance/Operations/Programs to ensure all stakeholders know where each grant stands.
- Participate in organizational level coordination and coordination calls
- Lead and facilitate the organization’s visibility activities in collaboration with field area offices and project mangers
- Maintain effective and professional communication with key stakeholders, partners and other organizations
- Work closely with the Program and finance teams to develop standard reporting templates and tools that will support improved narrative, logframe and financial reporting.
- Participate in sector/cluster working groups in collaboration with technical program leads
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 3-5 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Significant budget and proposal development experience
- Strong budget oversight / management experience. The candidate should be comfortable supporting with budget realignment and identifying the proper coding/classification of costs
- Experience with donors including UNHCR, PRM, UNICEF, USAID/OFDA
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team.