Vacance de poste
Intitulé publication : Communications Consultant – Level B
Département / Bureau : Programme des Nations Unies pour l’environnement
Lieu d’affectation : NAIROBI
Période de candidature : 13 novembre 2021
No de l’appel á candidature : 21-United Nations Environment Programme-166674-Consultant
Staffing Exercise N/A
Valeurs fondamentales de l’ONU : intégrité, professionnalisme, respect de la diversité
Result of Service
• An internal communication and engagement plan to facilitate the uptake and implementation of internal policies and approaches on the UN Development System (UNDS) reform, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), UN partnerships, Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and South South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) in UNEP.
• Key messages to inform and engage UNEP staff effectively in the implementation of the UNDS reform, SDGs and UN partnership.
• Key communication products to disseminate organizational positions, approaches and best practices on the implementation of the SDGs and UNDS reform – both for internal and external audiences.
Nairobi – Homes Based
Duties and Responsibilities
Organizational Setting and Reporting:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Policy and Programme Division performs strategic planning, coordination and monitoring of UNEP’s programmes as well as coordinates UNEP’s engagement with the wider UN system and global processes. This post of Communications Consultant is located in the Policy Coordination Unit and will report to the Head, Policy Coordination Unit of the Policy and Programme Division.
1. Purpose (justification for request)
The policy coordination unit facilitates coherent (the what) and effective (the how) policy support and approaches across UNEP for enhanced implementation of the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda within the UN system. The key UN policy processes addressed include: the UN development system Reform; UN interagency partnerships; the Sustainable Development Goals; other key policies on south-south and triangular cooperation (SSTC), least developed countries (LDCs) and landlocked developing countries (LLDCs).
Among its key priorities in 2021 and 2022, the Policy Coordination Unit aims to strengthen the awareness, engagement and collaboration of internal and external stakeholders in implementing these key policy processes. This will be undertaken through a strategic communication approach that is tailored to target stakeholders, leverages various communication channels and builds on the existing knowledge base to develop products that either a) facilitate a shift to a ‘whole-of-UNEP’ implementation of the UN development reform, the SDGs and partnerships with UN entities, and/or b) facilitate the engagement and contribution of the UN development system in integrating the environmental dimension of the SDGs in its work at country, regional and global level.
The objective of this consultancy is to develop and initiate implementation of a strategic communication approach that will engage internal (staff across UNEP) and external (entities of the UN Development system, UN resident coordinator system, UN country teams) stakeholders to strengthen the implementation of the environmental dimension of the SDGs by leveraging the UN development reform.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant will undertake the following tasks:
• Desk review of relevant documents and information pertaining to UNEP’s engagement with the UN development reform, partnerships with the UN system and the SDGs.
• Identify key internal and external stakeholders to strengthen UNEP’s effort in leveraging the UN development reform for enhanced implementation of the environmental dimension of the SDGs.
• Strengthen the internal communication and engagement plan to facilitate the uptake and implementation of internal policies and approaches on the UN Development System (UNDS) reform, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), UN partnerships, Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and South South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) in UNEP.
• Define the strategic approach in engaging UN entities and the UN resident coordinator system in integrating the environmental dimension of the SDGs in their work.
• Implement key activities and develop key products defined in the communication and engagement plan
• Identify and/or develop relevant key messages to inform and engage UNEP staff and UN partners effectively.
• Develop written and digital content to disseminate organizational positions, approaches and best practices on the implementation of the SDGs and UNDS reform.
• Develop or guide the development of identified key communication products.
• Manage the intranet space on the UNDS reform, SDGs, UN partnerships, LDCs and SSTC and advise team members on the development of user-centric content.
• Coordinate members of the relevant communities of practice and task teams in developing strategic and content-driven material, including by providing guidance, tools, best practices and direct support.
• Strengthen channels for dissemination of information and knowledge products.
• Advise and assist team members on approaches to communicate effectively the findings and recommendations of analyses, case studies, briefings, organizational positions, etc.
• Develop strategic information packages and key messages to be used for engaging and developing partnerships with UN partners.
• Provide strategic input to the planning and contribute to the preparation of outreach at key events.
Skills: Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
Flexibility and adaptability to work under pressure and meet specific deadlines.
Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Academic Qualifications: An advanced degree in communications, public information or another related Degree (e.g., political science, international relations) with a communication emphasis is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, marketing, journalism or relevant field is required.
Communication Theory – familiarity with leading international approaches to communication and advocacy, preferably including those on sustainability is desirable.
Ability to effectively package, develop and communicate information to a wide audience of diverse stakeholders is required.
Experience working with diverse international stakeholders to organize, catalogue, and disseminate their activities is required.
Specific experience in the field of communications as it relates to sustainable development would be an advantage.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of additional UN languages are an asset.
Aucun frais de dossier
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.