Plan International recruits 01 Project Manager NFI/Shelter UNHCR Project
Location: Bamenda/Buea, NW, CM
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. However, these are often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. In addition, it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. Moreover, we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The South-West and North-West Regions have experienced instability since October 2016, which has intensified since October 2017. Increased tensions have led to destruction of property including schools, as well as increasing levels of violence affecting the population, from both the government forces and the non-state armed groups. In October 2018 the UN Cluster system was activated for the response. Plan International Cameroon have been responding to the Crisis with the main response office based in Bamenda, in the North West region. The response also has a presence in Kumba, in the SW, and with the rapid increase of numbers of affected people, Plan International has made a strategic decision to scale up the response to meet the needs of the affected populations.
As of October 2018, the Crisis has created an estimated 530,000 internally displaced persons, and 45,000 refugees into Nigeria. With the scale up of the Plan International response in Cameroon, we are looking for a Shelter/NFI Project Manager for the UNHCR project.
The NW SW Crisis Response focuses on Child Protection in Emergencies with cross-cutting WASH & NFI/Shelter programming.
Project covers the North West and South West Region. The successful candidate must be willing to be based in Buea with travel to the North West region and other project areas in the South West Region as required. Must be willing to be at project sites where Plan International is responding.
Roles and responsibilities
The role will involve the following responsibilities:
- Project manager will have the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling, reporting and closure of the UNHCR Shelter and NFI projects in the North West and South West Regions
- H/She shall work closely with selected local partners in the implementation of the project activities,
- H/She shall be responsible for capacity building of project staff and partner staff on various thematic areas on Plan International’s Children and Youth safeguarding, Gender and inclusion policy etc
- Ensure key stakeholders have a common understanding and smooth implementation of project activities.
- Work closely with other ongoing CPiE and WASH projects will be established in order to ensure integration and complementarity for better impact.
- Contribute to the development of proposals to secure follow on or expansion funding for the NFI/Shelter portfolio as per identified needs;
- Prepare regular and timely updates and reports as needed including grant reporting submissions;
- Collaborate closely with other humanitarian actors and coordinate activities with other partners working in the targeted areas to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Work with the partners to ensure participation and involvement of different targeted population groups (displaced, returned, host communities) in the planning process, identification (beneficiaries, location) and implementation of activities, as well as in the project follow up and evaluation;
- Ensures that all the local authorities and beneficiaries are informed of the distribution date before the distributions.
- Ensure that all documentation of the NFI processes and distribution is well maintained with confidentiality
- Ensure lessons learnt are documented and incorporated into activities
- Ensure that minimum standards of humanitarian intervention are observed and guidance from the Shelter/ NFI cluster is followed
- Prepare and share intervention results internally, as well as with other humanitarian actors through NFI cluster working groups
- Lead the preparation of restitution of and feedback on the intervention to the communities;
- Supervise and evaluate project team (including distribution casual workers) as well as provide technical and non-technical assistance to them;
- Ensure each distribution has a distribution plan in advance ensuring vulnerable beneficiaries are thought about & provide training to each member of the team to ensure team work and coordination at the distribution site.
- Work with the logistics department to ensure that project teams receive necessary support in terms of transport, procurement and storage;
- Receive of products from warehouse and ensure quality and quantity checks prior to acceptance
- Ensure that distribution shows the organisation value i.e. gender sensitiveness and child protection aspect.
- Support Distribution Support Services (beneficiary feedback ) to install the community feedback mechanism
- University degree in social work, a social science or another related field with good knowledge of Protection Principles and Emergency Response
- Experience in registering beneficiaries and commodities distribution.
- Experience in project implementation, monitoring, evaluation and report writing is very useful.
- Good in communication, interpersonal skills and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Effective in written and oral communication; able to speak and write with a high standard of English and Local Language.
- Experience working in an office environment and able to use a computer (word for windows, excel software) and email is essential.
- Negotiation skill in dealing with other stakeholder within organization as well as outside organization such as Plan partners, local authority, military etc. (required)
- Committed to Plan International’s strategy and values.
- Experienced with working with senior management.
- Team player and relationship builder.
- Able to work calmly under extreme pressure and at unpredictable (long) hours during emergency response.
- NEXT STEP:
To apply for this job, kindly click on « Apply ». Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current of most recent supervisorLocation: Yaoundé – CAMEROON
- Closing date: September 3rd, 2019