Pina Baush Fellowship 2020 for Dance and Choreography (Stipend of 2,500 Euros)
Deadline: September 15, 2019
Applications are invited for the Pina Baush Fellowship 2020 for Dance and Choreography. Finding a language for life – the Arts Foundation of North Rhine-Westphalia and the Pina Bausch Foundation have been following up on Pina Bausch’s credo since 2016 with a co-developed grant programme and award the Pina Bausch Fellowship for Dance and Choreography.
The sponsorship is meant for
- Grants for a temporary residence at renowned institutions for dance and choreography abroad
- A non-paid participation in an ensemble or a placement with a choreographer at home or abroad
- The studies of dance techniques with renowned personalities at home or abroad
The scholarship holders are getting the chance to gain new experiences and are encouraged to develop their own artistic characteristics with new forms of expression. The Pina Bausch Fellowship is not a project fund, nor is it aimed at the development of new pieces.
For that purpose you need to look for a partner in whose work you are interested in or with whom you would like to cooperate. Cooperating partners can be renowned ensembles, choreographers, and also institutions and personalities from dance- or choreographic training institutions. The plans for the fellowship are to be prearranged together with this partner. Possible projects could be collaboration in form of an externship with a choreographer or a stay at a renowned training institution as a visiting student. Each applicant has to contact their cooperating partner themselves and have the planned project confirmed in a “letter of intent”.
The selected participants take part in an obligatory introductory week in Wuppertal from 19th of January to 2nd of February 2019. Following the end of the fellowship year, they introduce their results with a lecture in Wuppertal in January 2021.
- Each fellowship can take a minimum of three months and no longer than six months. It includes a monthly allowance of 2,500 Euros and one-time travel expenses. Up to four fellowships are granted each year.
The Fellowship is promoted internationally. It has no age-restrictions and aims at single artists from the fields of dance and choreography (dancers and choreographers). They can apply if they meet the personal requirements.
- For dancers: University/academic degree in dance and/or two years professional experience with a renowned ensemble
- For choreographers: Independent creation of at least one production with a public performance in the last three years
- In order to take part in the Fellowship programme, basic knowledge of the English language is required for purposes of communication among the Fellowship holders and the participation in formats such as the presentation of the project proposal, press meetings and public presentations. Organisational handling such as email contact and travel bookings are going to be in English.
The application procedure requires:
- letter of motivation (max. 1500 characters with blanks in ENGLISH)
- a brief statement on your planned stay ( max. 800 characters with blanks in ENGLISH)
- CV in tabular form (max. 1500 characters with blanks in ENGLISH) and a portrait
- information on the planned date and duration of the stay
- an approximate estimate of travel expenses
- letter of intent from the cooperating partner (e.g. an ensemble, a renowned person or institution from the field of dance or choreography, in ENGLISH)
- video material