Pages Humanitaires recruits 01 Scientific Officer – Resilient Farm & Food Systems
Skill: Earth Observation Services – Location: Dakar, Senegal – Duration: 2 years
Apply by email: Icrisat.Mali@cgiar.org
Application deadline: May 10, 2022.
ICRISAT has a compelling mission to fight poverty and improve the lives of people living in the semi-arid regions around the world. The semi-arid tropics are harsh environments with some of the highest levels of poverty and malnutrition, impacted strongly by climate change and battling water shortages and environmental degradation. The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) cannot be met unless we are persistent in escalating efforts towards finding solutions in these most challenged landscapes.
This is an exceptional opportunity to become a part of a modern and innovative agricultural research organization. ICRISAT is embarking on an ambitious new initiative to develop new and innovative funding models that will reach out to a wider portfolio of donors and investors, and to cultivate, engage in and build diverse and enduring strategic relationships with the private sector, foundations, governments and high-net worth individuals, among others.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeking applications for a Scientific Officer – Earth Observation Services to support the conception and operational deployment of EO services in West Africa, in partnership with public and private partners. These activities are undertaken as part of the SERVIR initiative in West Africa (SERVIR WA phase 2: 2022-2027). The Scientific Officer’s work location will be in Dakar, Senegal and s/he will be reporting to the SERVIR West Africa User Engagement Lead at ICRISAT.
- Help manage and develop EO services including technical, outreach, training, and dissemination of results
- Analyze and understand different types of remote sensing data needed for different types of services, and enhance capacity in the use of artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud resources etc. applied to the automation of workflows combining remote sensing and other geospatial data
- Organize interactions with public and private service stakeholders (next and end users) to ensure compliance with the SERVIR service design process, including needs assessment, theory of change, service requirements and development, deployment and maintenance of service prototypes and workflows, and achieving Application Readiness Level (ARL) targets and commercial viability
- Support the development of a new technical area on EO services for financial instruments, to help financial service partners (FSPs) incorporate the use of satellite data to de-risk investments, particularly in agriculture
- Support the implementation of a small innovations grants scheme
- Assist the project team in communicating SERVIR West Africa research results within ICRISAT, CGIAR, NASA and to external audiences, including the preparation of peer-reviewed and public awareness material
How to apply:
If this position interests you, please follow the below instructions to apply.
Applicants should apply on or before May 12, 2022, with latest Curriculum Vitae, a motivation letter stating the date of availability of the candidate and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and maintaining a progressive and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether they have a disability.
- Strong computational capability (working knowledge of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning),
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills required, French proficiency an advantage,
- Strong organizational and listening skills, and an entrepreneurial, results-oriented personality
Experience with business services, industrialization processes and West Africa an advantage,
Interest and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- MSc in applied mathematics, computer science, remote sensing, or agricultural/environmental sciences
ICRISAT offers a rewarding career opportunity in dryland agricultural research to have a lasting impact on millions of lives and communities. The state-of-the-art research infrastructure with high performance culture, ICRISAT provides global exposure and learning. For more details, visit www.icrisat.orgPostuler