Position Title : Consultant – Project Development & Reporting
Duty Station : N’Djamena, Chad
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06 October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission in Chad, the successful candidate will support the project development of the IOM Chad mission specifically in the fields of: a) humanitarian assistance, b) durable solutions, c) community stabilization and human security, d) peace building and disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DRR), e) border management and counter-trafficking.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support project development for the mission, in particular related to diaspora engagement, border management, displacement tracking and flow monitoring, community stabilization.
2. Support the Project Managers in developing and editing interim and final narrative reports on displacement tracking and peacebuilding for a variety of donors.
3. Support the completion of the annual reporting of the mission.
4. Contribute to the ongoing communication campaign of the mission, through contributions to the newsletter and social media campaign.
5. Support project managers in reviewing and implementing mid-term and end of project monitoring and evaluation exercises.
6. Develop own project ideas in coordination with the different heads of unit.
7. Represent IOM at the United Nations Communications Group and support the annual review of the progress made towards the achievements of the objectives set forth in the UNDAF and ensure adequate representation of IOM’s achievements.
8. Support the COM in outreach activities regarding the changing dynamics in mobility in Chad, including preparation of presentations, press notes and events, which also includes the work with UNHCR and OCHA on the interagency focus on mobility in Chad.
9. Provide editing and review support to a research and analyses currently being undertaken, as well as logistical support to the consultants as required.
10. As pertinent contribute to communication activities of the mission.
11. Support any emergency activities as they might arise, in particular on the operational side.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Tangible and Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment
• Finalization of project proposals and concept notes through obtaining of endorsement through the regional office.
• Contribution to the development of the IOM Chad country strategy.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
Over the course of the consultancy, the successful candidate is required to submit Concept Notes (CN) and proposals within the provided deadlines to the regional office, ensure follow up and meeting of submission deadlines to the donor
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
• Number of proposals and CN endorsed and submitted on time to donor.
• Number of successful donor submissions.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in social sciences or humanitarian management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of professional experience in Project support, Reporting or Monitoring and Evaluation; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in field-work in a challenging environment and community-based reintegration processes preferred;
• Experience in implementing projects in fragile and post-conflict political settings preferred;
• Willingness to travel up to 60% of the time to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a diverse multi-cultural environment;
• Strong and proven, analytical skills;
• Experience with multimedia outreach and technology an advantage.
For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written).
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 06 October 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 23.09.2019 to 06.10.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.