Position Title : Project Manager
Duty Station : Tunis, Tunisia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 May 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this VN, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Lesotho; Libya; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the Regional Office for the MENA Region, and relevant Headquarters (HQs) departments, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Italian funded project supporting the mobilization of Tunisian diaspora for the sustainable development of the South-Eastern and North-Western regions of the country (MOBI-TRE).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage the overall project’s implementation in a timely manner, overseeing its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
2. Ensure monitoring of project progress, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness, and take appropriate action.
3. Develop and maintain implementation strategies, work and expenditure plans to ensure timely implementation and achievements of programme outputs and objectives.
4. Supervise all staff assigned to the project, as well as consultants recruited to support and/or undertake specific activities.
5. Establish and maintain strong partnerships with Government entities, diaspora associations, implementing partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders in the project’s target regions.
6. Prepare progress and other reports and ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, the project’s donors and other stakeholders.
7. Act as IOM national focal point for diaspora related initiatives and manage associated projects, upon request, as well as support regional and global efforts to systematize diaspora outreach activities and mechanisms.
8. Identify new project possibilities in the country on migration and development and entrepreneurship, in relation to expressed governmental needs, donors’ priorities and in line with IOM’s mandate and strategy.
9. Represent IOM at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities.
10. Undertake site visits and duty travel as required relating to project coordination, liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and adaptation of activities to the different operational contexts as required.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, including managing entrepreneurship and micro finance projects with a Government or UN agency, or a regional or international organization;
• Experience implementing similar projects in the Middle East and/or North Africa, and/or entrepreneurship projects and work with diaspora in mid-income countries is preferred;
• Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and negotiation skills;
• Good knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation principles and practices;
• Familiarity with budget/financial administration; proven resource management skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 May 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment