Position Title : Information Management Officer (Graphics)
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 May 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this VN, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Lesotho; Libya; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations and direct supervision of the Information Management Coordinator (Head of IMU), and working closely with all client departments, the successful candidate will have a duel role primarily providing in-house graphic design assistance as well as providing assistance for aspects of information management support to programme units in relation to IOM’s humanitarian response and humanitarian assistance operations in South Sudan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Based on specific instructions, provide creative inputs for the development and design of a compelling IOM South Sudan Information Products Visual Identity for the mission in close liaison with all client departments.
2. Produce mock-ups of user-friendly formats, layouts and designs for various publications, reports and information products for printing and electronic distribution.
3. Prepare re-useable templates in line with the IOM style guide and carry out preliminary data visualization to generate pictorial and graphical analysis including graphs, charts, tables and graphics/infographics.
4. Proactively gather and compile accurate and reliable information, data and photos from programme units for subsequent incorporation in information products and visual/graphic outputs.
5. Using Adobe Creative Cloud, contribute inputs for the production of key regular reports showcasing the plan or progress of the IOM South Sudan’s programmes and operations.
6. Using Adobe Creative Cloud, contribute creative inputs to the production of periodic information products e.g. infographics, snapshots, dashboards, sitreps, factsheets, brochures, flyers, logos, banners and posters that need high creativity skills in coordination with programme units.
7. Generate maps for all units showcasing programme interventions while highlighting coverage, gaps, and needs by overlaying vulnerability information.
8. Produce creative and innovative outputs for commercial print, electronic and web-based media.
9. Provide guidance and assistance to internal staff on the use of Adobe Creative Cloud.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Graphic Design, Industrial Art, Information Management, Information Technology, Information Systems or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in designing reports and other communications materials.
• Experience in graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and color management.
• Experience in translating technical information into creative products.
• Excellent command of Adobe Creative Cloud especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe PageMaker and CorelDraw.
• Advanced knowledge of basic computing, particularly the Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and familiarity with Microsoft Publisher.
• Experience in information management, or graphics design preferably in complex crisis situations.
• Experience in data visualization and information design skills.
• Experience in producing designs for IOM, the United Nations, or international non-profits will be an added advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 May 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment