OIM recruits 01 Field Officer
L’Organisation Internationale pour les Migrants (OIM)
Position Title : Field Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 January 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The European Union (EU)-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (EU-IOM Joint Initiative) supports the efforts of African partner countries along the Central Mediterranean migration routes to strengthen migration governance and respond to urgent protection needs of migrants. The Initiative implements projects in 14 countries alongside a regional component: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Ghana, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Libya. The main areas of activity include: (i) increasing protection and assistance for vulnerable and stranded migrants; (ii) facilitating voluntary return; (iii) achieving sustainable reintegration; (iv)enhancing government and stakeholder policies and responses; (v) giving access to accurate information; and (vi) improving data on migration flows, routes and trends as well as migrants’ needs and vulnerabilities.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (Migrant Assistance and Reintegration) and the direct supervision of the Reintegration Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing reintegration schemes and participating in delivery of assistance in countries of origin to returning migrants. S/he will be responsible for coordinating, implementing action, and monitoring of migrants’ reintegration assistance for IOM/Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and monitor daily operations and staff in the field.
2. Coordinate and provide administrative and logistical support for the effective and timely implementation of country level activities in close coordination with the field teams in the respective targeted regions.
3. Provide technical inputs for the development of activities and work plans in close coordination with field team.
4. Identify implementation problems and recommend action to overcome challenges and expedite delivery.
5. Provide technical guidance to facilitate community mobilization and the identification of appropriate reintegration activities.
6. Maintain collaborative relationships with national and local government authorities, local grantees, local contractors, UN agencies, international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), donors, and other key stakeholders.
7. Support the Reintegration Officer in the implementation of the programme’s community-based, reintegration initiatives at the field level in accordance with the overall objectives of the programme by supervising programme implementation staff in the identification of local grantees and partners, technical consultants, and other programme implementers.
8. Support the reintegration officer in the coordination of the operations staff as appropriate for reintegration activity implementation to check that procurement, finance, logistics, and programmatic aspects of each activity are being implemented on-time and in accordance with the specifications of the approved activity.
9. Coordinate closely with the logistics, financial and procurement teams in the application of standard guidelines and procedures aimed at ensuring an appropriate, efficient and transparent use of funds.
10. Provide regular reporting to the Project Manager on activity implementation.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Agricultural Sciences, Natural Resources Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional experience in assisted voluntary return and reintegration, community mobilization and development, community reintegration or similar direct assistance work;
• Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organizations, and International NGOs); • Experience working in Central and West Africa on assisted voluntary return and reintegration, community mobilization and development, community reintegration or similar direct assistance work; experience working in Senegal in the aforementioned fields is an advantage;
• Experience in project management and monitoring and evaluation an asset;
• Experience in providing guidance and supervising staff and coordinating administrative matters.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish, Wolof and other local languages of Central and West Africa as an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 January 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
Posting period: to 30.01.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.