OIM recruits 01 Consultant / Communications Campaigns
Position Title : Consultant – Communications Campaigns
Duty Station : Yaoundé, Cameroon
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in collaboration with the Project Development and Reporting officer and the Reintegration Officer, the successful candidate will manage the awareness raising campaign on the risks of irregular migration, in the framework of the European Union-10M joint initiative for migrant protection and reintegration.
The successful candidate’s role is to ensure timely and professional coordination with the stakeholders and the implementing partners, as well as to prepare communications outputs with a focus on support awareness raising on the risks of irregular migration in Cameroon.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage the liaison and coordination with partners to ensure implementation of the awareness raising campaign and coordination with the implementing partners as well as relevant stakeholders.
2. Counsel, support and train civil society organizations active in the field of awareness-raising within the EUTF project to improve and strengthen their activities.
3. Call, coordinate, prepare and report from the meetings of the steering subcommittee on awareness and liaise with its members.
4. Develop IOM Cameroon communications and awareness-raising plan and ensure its implementation in coordination with colleagues as well as other stakeholders.
5. Draft press briefing notes, news stories and images showing IOM’s response work in Cameroon and contribute to the preparation of project reports.
6. Supervise the development and dissemination of multimedia, multilingual awareness raising materials including infographics, social media content, newsletters and other communications tools to showcase the results of the project in Cameroon.
7. Liaise as appropriate with IOM Regional Office in Dakar and with other stakeholders, including media, to ensure effective communication on the project results and status of advancement.
8. Contribute towards the coordination of IOM’s media outreach with the UN Humanitarian Communications team and other international and news agencies.
9. Supervise the update of the mission’s social media account as well as webpage.
10. Supervise the managing of the information and complaint mechanism of IOM Cameroon.
11. Lead the organization of events and activities as appropriate aimed at improving knowledge of IOM and raising awareness on its work and achievements.
12. Ensure that there is appropriate gender awareness in all IOM communications in relation to the issue.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Tangible and Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment
1. Develop IOM Cameroon communication plan.
2. Develop IOM Cameroon Awareness-raising plan.
3. Prepare the calendar of the awareness-raising campaign.
4. Organize one technical working group on awareness raising to introduce new implementing partners.
5. Organize the meeting of the project steering committee in coordination with colleagues from other EUTF related departments; Produce at least six monthly reports and six project’s dashboards and one pagers.
6. Liaise the production of two newsletters.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
1. Develop IOM Cameroon communication plan – within 1 month of start date
2. Develop IOM Cameroon Awareness-raising plan – within 1 month of start date;
3. Prepare the calendar of the awareness-raising campaign within 2 months of start date;
4. Organize one technical working group on awareness raising to introduce new implementing partners; within 6 months of start date
5. Organize the meeting of the project steering committee in coordination with colleagues from other EUTF related departments; within 6 months of start date
6. Produce at least six monthly reports and six project’s dashboards and one pagers; every month from start to end by the 6th of each month
7. Liaise the production of two newsletters: within 6 months of start date
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
1. Satisfactory completion of tasks indicated in this ToR.
2. Initiative and planning for implementation of the awareness-raising campaign, preparation of the calendar, and organization of technical working group and project steering committee.
3. Quality and timeliness of monthly reports, one pagers and dashboards.
4. Quality of the newsletters.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Information or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in media and communications;
• Previous experience writing and reporting in international and crisis contexts;
• Strong organizational and editorial skills;
• Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
• Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
Fluency in French is required. Fluency in English is an advantage.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 April 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.