Position Title : Compound Manager
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
IOM Somalia is finalizing a compound within the Mogadishu International Airport (MIA) protected area. The compound is owned by IOM and will be equipped with a significant amount of office and accommodation space. While the accommodation will be uses exclusively by IOM personnel, the office space will be shared (rented) to other UN Agencies, Funds and Programs. Likewise, IOM has been managing a UN Common Compound in Bosasso city for several year.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Resources Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Supply Chain Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the IOM Somalia Compound in MIA. Likewise, the successful candidate will be supporting the Head of Sub-office in Bosasso in the management of the UN Common Compound IOM manages in that location.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage the facilities at the IOM compound in Mogadishu and Bosasso including (accommodation and Office facilities) established on self-sustain/cost recovery basis, while monitoring the revenue/income flow.
2. Administer everything related to the payments of hosted UN Agencies, Funds and Programs for both the IOM Compound in Mogadishu and the UN Common Compound in Bosasso.
3. Management of resources and participation in the budget/spending plans.
4. Supervise the Compound Assistant in accommodation reservations, including record of check in and check out, provision of accommodations orientation to the guests and timely inform the Support Unit for smooth invoice issue to the UN agencies and guests.
5. Supervise the Facility Maintenance Clerk to monitor the generators and other utilities at the IOM Mogadishu.
6. Ensure safety at the IOM compound by conducting, but not limited to, regular facility checks, such as regular water quality test of the water sources, , generators, and fire extinguishers.
7. In coordination with the Construction Engineer, conduct regular facility checks and report any necessary improvement and/or repair.
8. Coordinating the hiring and supervising of personnel for maintenance purposes – including housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, daily laborer’s etc.
9. Monitor the catering service provider at the cafeteria. Conduct periodic cafeteria asset check with the catering provider, IOM Procurement Unit and the Compound Assistant.
10. Monitor the canteen service provider for timely meal services at the canteen.
11. Monitor the cleaning service provider at the IOM compounds. Ensure that all facilities are kept clean at all times.
12. Supervise the Compound Assistant to manage all facility keys and ensure that necessary facility materials are properly managed and stocks are monitored. Ensure the timely material request to the Procurement Unit so that the facility is always equipped with necessary facility materials.
13. Be alert to the local security situation and report any security incidents or situation to the Security Officer in Mogadishu.
14. Prepare regular progress reports to share with the relevant and intended parties.
15. Coordinate the hiring and supervising of personal for maintenance purposes (including housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, daily laborers, etc.).
16. Raise Purchase Requests in coordination with head of office and logistics for materials to maintain or improve the humanitarian hub.
17. Perform such other duties may be required or assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Hospitality Management, Hotel Administration, Business Management from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing hotels and guest houses is strongly preferred.
• Experience and knowledge in facility management is strongly preferred.
• Experience in managing IOM transit centres is an added advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 April 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.