The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) is an intergovernmental organisation responsible for improving animal health worldwide. The standards it develops for the trade of live animals and products of animal origin are recognised by the World Trade Organization as reference for international sanitary rules (http://www.oie.int/fr/).
The OIE, previously known as the « Office international des épizooties », was created on 25 January 1924. Its headquarters are based in Paris. Comprise by 182 Member Countries, the OIE maintains permanent relations with nearly 75 international and regional and is present on all continents through 13 Representations or Bureaus in total.
As part of the Tripartite Alliance with World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO), the OIE is participating in a regional project to fight against the antimicrobial resistance in the Americas financed by the European Union (EU). The project aims at engaging with seven Latin American countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay) and reinforcing the role of the Tripartite at regional level represented by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Regional Office for the Americas of WHO, FAO regional and national offices and the OIE Regional Representation for the Americas (RRA).
Positioning and reporting
Under the authority of the Director General, the AMR Regional Project Officer will work under the direct supervision of the OIE Regional Representative for the Americas, posted in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He/she will work in close collaboration with relevant OIE Units and Departments in the Headquarters and the project’s Coordination and Management Team.
The AMR Regional Project Officer contributes to the OIE’s strategy on antimicrobial resistance. He/She is the OIE responsible staff for the implementation of the EU financed regional project on AMR, part of the project’s Coordination and Management Team. He/she supports the global coordination of the project by ensuring the timely and successful delivery of activities in line with set objectives and participating as required in the operational implementation of activities.
Missions and activities
Provide general support to the activities of the OIE RRA
- Plan, coordinate and implement OIE regional actions on AMR, in line with the OIE Global Strategy within the project;
- Support representatives from relevant Ministries and National Institutes in analysing the current national policy framework and institutional landscape relevant for AMR;
- Provide guidance to prioritize activities and interventions and support OIE Members in drafting strategic documents/actionable implementation plans in relation to the objectives of their NAP AMR action plans;
- Support the implementation of OIE activities organised by the OIE RRA;
- Contribute to the preparation of responses to enquiries from Members and other stakeholders;
- Provide background documents, meeting reports and other working documents as required.
Contribute to the overall project coordination
- Engage with technical teams at regional and global level involved in the implementation of the project to ensure workplans and strategies are fully aligned;
- Engage closely with his/her Tripartite counterparts in the development, planning and implementation of joint activities under the project in order to guarantee its alignment with OIE Global Strategy on AMR and the Prudent Use of Antimicrobials;
- Participate in monthly coordination electronic meetings with the regional Tripartite partners.
Ensure the management and follow-up of the project
- Contribute to the development of a detailed project plan to monitor and track progress:
Identify risks, and analyse, manage and propose mitigation measures to ensure timely delivery of the project;
Ensure tracking and validation of expenses and meeting of budgetary objectives
Develop an M&E framework and performance metrics and capture information to track project performance;
- Work with the Communications Department to develop and implement a communication plan;
- Coordinate specific technical activities and deliverables (including those implemented by consultants and external implementers), to ensure delivery of project outputs
- Participate in and contribute to the preparation of background documents and progress reports for the project governance mechanisms;
- Prepare the technical reports as required by the donor and according to OIE rules as well as contribute to the preparation of the corresponding financial report in collaboration with the OIE Engagement and Investment Department
Contribute to the project communication
- Support the activities of the OIE Communication Officer assigned to the project in the rollout of the project’s Communication Strategy;
- Organise and support international workshops, meetings, and conferences relevant to the project;
- Represent the OIE at coordination meetings and expert consultations planned within the project, as relevant;
- Provide topic specific advice on matters relating to the project;
- Contribute to drafting papers, articles and other relevant informative technical and communication material to promote the project’s objectives.
Expériences / Formation
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree in international affairs, public health, agriculture, veterinary sciences, or other relevant fields
- At least 5 years, and preferably 8 years, of experience in project management, planning, implementation and evaluation
- Experience in the management of donor funded development projects, including contract management
- Experience in preparing and monitoring budgets;
- Report writing experience
- Experience in projects related to AMR and Tripartite Alliance.
- Experience in public health and/or veterinary public health.
- Prior work experience in South America.
- Excellent command of Spanish and English is required, both written and oral;
- Strong project management and editorial skills;
- Significant experience with the use of the Office pack;
- Proficiency in web-based applications (Smartsheet) and (social) media computer tools.
- Knowledge of additional computer tools such as Trello, Mailchimp, Survey Monkey
- Strong team orientation with interpersonal skills;
- Organisational awareness: strong ability to establish priorities, work within tight timelines and multi-task;
- Capacity to work in a multicultural international environment with colleagues from different departments and offices, and grasp different topics and activities quickly;
- Self-motivated, focused and driven.
This post requires flexibility to travel internationally and long hours in a seated position at a computer.
- Salary: Base salary at 2800 USD / month, commensurate with experience
- Duration: One (1 year), renewable
The OIE places high value on a multicultural and positive work environment. The OIE is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications of all qualified candidates, irrespective of their ethnic origin, gender, opinions or beliefs. This is a fulltime position as an international civil servant based at the OIE Regional office in Buenos Aires (Argentine) that is available immediately.
If you are interested in the position, please complete your application online by clicking on the link below by 17 February (Paris local time) at the latest.