NRC’s programmes and advocacy support families affected by conflict in the shelter, Food security and livelihoods, education, water and sanitation, camp management, and legal assistance sectors. NRC has over 1,300 employees working on the NRC regional response.
The Central and West Africa Regional Office located in Dakar, Senegal, is overseeing the country programmes in the region and provides strategic guidance across core programme, advocacy and support. The CWA region is composed of Country Offices in Mali, the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), North-east Nigeria, Cameroon and a new country office in Niger and Burkina Faso
All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements numbers due to conflict. Displacement across the region is fluid and complex.
NRC is particularly concerned about the potential impact the global spread of corona-virus (COVID19) could have on vulnerable refugees and internally displaced people (IDPs).
Because of these restrictions, NRC and other humanitarian organisations are being forced to scale back their activities but trying to maintain essential humanitarian services such as food and cash distributions and scaling up Covid-19 prevention activities such as water, sanitation and hygiene awareness.
Regional Wash Adviser assumes the overall responsibility for the development and growth of the overall wash strategy in the region. He/she is responsible to lead coordination in the region on the response to COVID-19.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Generic responsibilities
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide strategic advice and technical support to the Country Offices in the region on Wash or cross-cutting issues
- Support the development of country/regional wash strategies and implementation plans, including review of MLFA
- Support and monitor country programme compliance with the Programme Policy and respective quality assurances
- Contribute to the development of policies, strategies, tools and new approaches, with a focus on innovation and piloting
- Ensure that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the region and beyond
- Contribute to global programme development projects and manage regional programme development projects
- Build relationships with key stakeholders at a strategic level and represent NRC in policy and coordination fora at regional and global level and engage in fundraising
2. Specific responsibilities
- Lead coordination on response to COVID-19 response within the region
- Support to COs on business continuity planning
- Coordination with other Core Competencies at regional and global level to bring together high quality and timely support to COs
- Support COs with remote management approaches
- External coordination on COVID-19
Expériences / Formation
Generic professional competencies
- Minimum 5 years working in humanitarian response as a WASH Specialist or Manager
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Previous experience in emergency coordination
- Previous experience with response to epidemics desirable
- Previous experience in West and Central Africa desirable
- Knowledge of Remote Management
- Approaches Knowledge of behavior change approaches and community engagement
- Seek to leverage learning on technical issues regionally
- Stimulate a culture of innovation
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Strategic thinking
Start date: ASAP, Fixed term contract of 4 months
Duty Station: Dakar. But flexible, due to travel restriction it can be home based.
Salary: Grade 9 according to NRC’s salary scale
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location
To learn more about this position please click on the link Job Description