NERC: Human-Environment Interactions & the Sustainable Development Goals
Deadline: 31 July 2018
The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is seeking proposals for its “Human-Environment Interactions & the Sustainable Development Goals” with an aim to significantly improve their understanding of the complex interactions between people and the environment required to make progress in achieving the United Nations Global Goals (Sustainable Development Goals).
The capacity to chart a course from the knowledge of human-environment systems to the changes in policies, practices, governance, and behaviours that will sustain those systems will depend on research focused on scalable, integrated approaches and solutions that can speak to decision-makers and citizens around the world.
This call aims to support small-medium sized projects of maximum 2 years in duration with a recommended total consortium budget of approximately £700k per project (100% of full costs), starting no earlier than January 2019 and no later than March 2019.
Eligibility for this call follows the normal national eligibility requirements of the individual funding partners. In all cases, funders are only able to support researchers based in their respective countries.
- There are a number of core requirements that projects have to follow;
- Project teams must be international in composition and include funded researchers/participants (within remit and eligibility) from at least 3 of the countries represented by the funding partners.
- Projects should focus on the global picture, taking into consideration both developing and developed countries.
- NB this does not mean that projects have to only address issues at a global scale, studies at all scales are welcome.
- Projects should address challenges where the solution is likely to be achieved, or obstacles avoided, by taking into account crucial interdependencies between more than two SDGs.
- Projects should be fully integrated approaches to understand the human-environment interactions involved in delivering the SDGs, bringing all appropriate disciplines to bear. Projects may address social, economic, cultural and natural systems, incorporating biophysical processes and relevant systems dynamics.
- Projects should be co-designed and delivered with stakeholders critical to achieving the desired outcomes.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit NERC.