National Geographic Society Inviting Proposals for Uncovering Human Origins in Asia and Africa
Deadline: 10 July 2019
The National Geographic Society is inviting proposals for its “Uncovering Human Origins in Asia and Africa” to encourage further investigation of hominid evolution in Africa and Asia, with preference given to projects in relatively unexplored parts of those continents.
Preference will also be given to applicants who are residents or citizens of the country of fieldwork, as well as to projects with strong local capacity development components.
Projects should be research-focused but can integrate conservation, education, storytelling, or technology as a secondary component. They look to those areas of the planet where little is known about human origins, and they seek to invest in new ideas, projects, and explorers in and from these regions.
Priority will be given to projects that aim to do one or more of the following:
- Discover or explore new paleoanthropological fossil sites in Africa or Asia, particularly those in Central and West Africa and those in East, Southeast, South, and Central Asia
- Design or test new methodologies for discovering or exploring paleoanthropological sites in Africa or Asia
- Develop local capacity in human origins exploration in Africa or Asia
- Typical proposals should request less than $30,000; however, applicants may request up to $50,000 if they are running a field school for students from the region.
- Successful applicants should use awarded funds within one year.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit https://www.nationalgeographic.org/funding-opportunities/grants/what-we-fund/human-origins/