myAgro recruits 01 General Manager
- Report to: Chief Technology Officer
- Language Requirement: Fluency in English required, French language proficiency perferred
- Start date: ASAP
myAgro helps farmers move out of poverty: we do this with a simple approach. We help farmers manage their cash flow better – at harvest time when farmers have more cash, they can lock away their funds for seeds and fertilizer for the next season. They pay using their mobile phone (or mobile money in Tanzania) and myAgro delivers the inputs they’ve paid for before it rains and provides technical training so farmers know how to use the inputs efficiently. This leads to 50% more food and 50% more income per farm. To date myAgro serves 46,000 farmers and will scale to 1 million farmers by 2025. The award-winning team has received recognition from Skoll Foundation, Echoing Green, World Bank, Bill Gates and more.
About the role
This position is a role within myAgro that helps accelerate myAgro’s ability to scale, reach 100% sustainability and increase its impact. Reporting directly to the CTO, you will be responsible for the strategic and tactical aspects of myAgro’s product roadmap, and helping to drive changes to myAgro’s products for our internal customers. You will also manage a team of product associates in each country we operate that help achieve the goals of the role.
The current product suite includes mobile applications, Salesforce CRM for working with clients, SMS communication, integration with multiple systems, reporting using Tableau, and mobile money integration. You will be responsible for understanding and communicating use cases, developing product strategy, defining technical specifications, launching products to the team including training, and monitoring and follow-up for products. The most important skill for this role will be excellent written and verbal communication.
- Collaborate with other teams within myAgro to understand users, needs, and identify challenges and opportunities where technology can be most effectively applied and have a great impact on meeting myAgro’s mission.
- Identify and effectively communicate gaps, issues, or opportunities to improve the existing myAgro products and shepherd through design, development, and launch so they have an impact on the organization.
- Oversee the product management and product support processes and teams of Product
- Associates, providing support and training on user centered design techniques for gathering user stories, defining requirements, doing user research and managing staff workloads and workflows.
- Directly manage Product Associates to ensure successful product management and development. Develop and train them, and the broader myAgro team, to use effective techniques for accomplishing product goals, including UI/UX design, wireframes, writing
requirements, collecting user feedback, and building great user training and product launch materials.
- Share regular written and verbal updates on progress of product work, the product roadmap, and any challenges to users and stakeholders at myAgro.
Skills and Qualifications
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Curious, open-minded, and willing to listen and learn from the team and the users.
- Minimum 5 years work experience, especially in product development and product management in technology companies.
- Experience in user requirements gathering and product design and design thinking
- Proven record of using product management and/or software development methodologies in a changing environment.
- Previous job where you managed a team, even if a small one.
- Previous cross-cultural experience, preferably non-western and for a period of 6 months or more, or some experience working in ICT4D context would be great.
- Willingness to travel to remote locations to develop in-depth understanding of our work and our users (up to 30%)
- As with any start up, flexibility, a sense of humor and an open mind are necessary
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of myAgro
To apply: submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Closing date: 17 July 2020