MSF recrute 01 Medical Deputy Coordinator of Operations (m/f/x) – Brussels
MSF OCB is looking for two (2) Medical Deputy Coordinators of Operations (Medical Deputy CO): one for Cell 2 and one for Cell 3.
In general, this position is not tied to any specific context. Countries are indicative, as a re-shuffling of the portfolio within the Operations department occurs on a regular basis. Nevertheless:
For Cell 2: the countries at the moment in the Cell are: Nigeria, Mali, Guinea, Serbia/Greece. In the near future, Cell 2 will concentrate its portfolio on Western Africa including a new Sahel country as of the coming months.
For Cell 3: the countries at the moment in the Cell are: Haiti, South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Sierra Leone, and explo/assessments in Eritrea. In the near future, Cell 3 will concentrate its portfolio on East Africa. In 2022, the plan is for Sierra Leone to be handed over to another Cell while Ethiopia will fall under Cell3 portfolio.
- The Medical Deputy CO is responsible for the medical strategy of the missions in his/her portfolio, together with the Coordinator of Operations
- Is the Deputy to the Coordinator of Operations
- Medical leadership, strategy and coordination
- Guides the MedCo in his/her responsibility to implement the projects (coaching, mentoring)
The Medical Deputy CO position belongs to the Operations department, is managed hierarchically by the Coordinator of Operations (CO) and is functionally linked to the Medical Operational Manager in the Medical Department.
Strong relationship CO/deputy CO is important in order to speak as one voice.
Strong relationship Deputy CO/Medical officer is important in order to speak as one voice.
In each Cell, there is also a position of Medical Officer, who reports to the Medical Deputy CO. A generic task division exists between the 2 positions. However, for each Cell a detailed separation of responsibilities needs to be developed in view of the individual profiles and operational challenges in the field.
Education and Experience
- Medical degree in Medicine (preferred), or nursing degree
- Degree in tropical medicine
- Degree in Public Health or Epidemiology and/or basics in Humanitarian law is an asset
- Minimum 3 years of field experience with MSF
- Minimum 1 year as Medical Coordinator with MSF
- Strategic vision
- Leadership (Able to set priorities, make choices, and assume decisions)
- Teamwork and Cooperation (Team spirit)
- Capacity to negotiate (Good communication skills)
- Planning and Organizing (Management skills)
- Bilingual (French/English), the knowledge of another language is an asset
Expériences / Formation
- Develops a strategic vision for each country under the lead of the Coordinator of Operations, together with the Head of Mission (HoM) and Medical coordinator (MedCo)
- Responsible to develop a medical vision for each country with the MedCos
- Responsible for the strategic choices and objectives of the projects, according to the Ops Processes.
- Ensures the medical pertinence and adequacy of the projects with the MedCo
- Takes co-decision with the CO to make operational decisions congruent with the needs, the medical identity (prospects) & the medical
- Replaces the CO in his/her absence
- Chooses the design teams and support teams as per the Ops processes.
- Validates the final design of activities and resources as per the Ops processes
- Ensures the medical quality of the projects (this responsibility can be delegated to the Medical officer)
- Supports the Medical coordinator in his/her responsibility to implement the projects (coaching/mentoring)
- Ensures the cost-awareness regarding medical choices
- Interacts with experts on strategy, pertinence and adequacy as per the Ops processes
- Balances the humanitarian drive in the OPS with the Medical approach
- Matches the medical & political vision (theory) with the operational reality in the field (adaptability, feasibility)
- Contributes to the development of medical policies and strategies by sharing context-specific experiences and by checking their field
- Ensures that all projects have a pertinent medical advocacy agenda, possibly with an OR Coordinates the strategy and activities with Analysis department, OR unit and Medical coordinator
- Communicates medical matters (regarding the projects) to the COM dept & occasionally to the media (medical advocacy)
- Takes on the operational role in some of the circles (working groups) within the medical department
- Participates to cell meetings, the ops meeting and the medical department meeting
- Expected starting date: December 1st, 2021
- Type of contract: Open-ended contract (CDI), full-time
- Based in Brussels with field visits
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: November 4th, 2021
How to apply?
For candidates wishing to apply to both Deputy CO Cell 2 and Cell 3 positions, please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org and mention “Medical Deputy CO Cell 2 and Cell 3” in the subject of your email.
For candidates wishing to apply only to one of the Deputy CO positions, please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org but mentioning only “Medical Deputy CO Cell 2” or “Medical Deputy CO Cell 3” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.