Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship 2021 (Up to $5,000)
Deadline: May 31, 2021
Applications are open for the Mongabay Sue Palminteri WildTech Reporting Fellowship 2021. The Fellowship primarily involves writing stories that cover conservation technology-related research for an affiliated news site – Mongabay.com.
The fellow will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on a renowned website which boasts over two million global readers every month. This is a part-time, six-month opportunity supported by a special fund created in the memory of Sue Palminteri.
- Fellow will receive a $5,000 honorarium for the duration of the program.
- Other perks include:
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support:
- Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
- Developing writing skills
- Developing interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be a Self-motivator.
- Be passionate about environmental subjects.
- Have positive attitude.
- Be coachable and open to learning.
- Have strong values – personally and professionally.
- Have problem-solving skills.
- Have interest in conservation technology.
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay.
- Indicate whether you have previous experience in conservation technology or related fields. If you don’t, please explain what compelled you to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article. If you don’t have a sample you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample (600 words max.)
- A new use of technology to solve an old problem: Estimating the population size of a burrow nesting seabird
4. Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own.
Use the application form to send your materials. Applications submitted by email will not be accepted. Application deadline is May 31, 2021, 11:00 a.m. EDT (New York time).