|Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
MdM has been working in Yemen since 2007, focusing on delivering of Primary Health Care (PHC) services in both stable and crisis situations. MdM has a well-established functioning office in Sanaa city, a sub office in Yareem district – Ibb Governorate (since 2016) and a base in Aden to implement activities in Abyan and Lahj governorates (since end of 2018). In addition, due to the blockade of sea and airports imposed by Saudi-Led coalition, MdM established a base in Djibouti to support Yemen programs.
MdM is working in partnership with Yemeni Ministry of Public Health and Population to provide full package of primary health care services (including mental health and psychosocial support) in the supported health facilities. MdM is working with communities as well through the community health volunteers and mental health volunteers. Providing health education, screening of under five children for malnutrition and providing mental health awareness/detection services are the main components of MdM medical activities at community level. In addition, MdM is supporting lifesaving referral services to the secondary health care level for critical cases such as women in need for cesarean section due to complicated deliveries or sever acute malnourished children who need to be admitted into hospitals or stabilization centers.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the Field Coordinator, the Health Program Coordinator is in charge of the implementation, follow-up and supervision of the different medical activities in Southern Yemen in coordination with MdM team and partners.
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
- Ensure the consistency of MdM programs according to the needs, MdM policies, national and international standards and available funds with the field coordinator and the coordination team
- Prepare and implement medical operational action plan for MdM program in Southern Yemen in collaboration with coordination team (especially with medical coordinator and MHPSS supervisor)
- Develop and implement evaluation systems, supervise and monitor data collection processes and analyze the medical data on a regular basis and set up corrective measures in case of need
- Develop and implement health surveillance system and give regular feedback on the contextual health situation
- Supervise the medical teams (site visits or in remote) for monitoring the quality of delivered services
- React to any change by proposing program adaptation to the field coordinator and coordination team (Sanaa) if necessary (outbreaks, new needs arising, influx of IDPs, etc.)
- Perform medical assessments in new identified areas according to the needs and taking in consideration security context
- Ensure integration of the different component of the program (mental health and psychosocial support and medical)
- Work with admin base on the elaboration and follow-up of the program’s budget (South)
- Work in close collaboration with logistics department, especially for medical orders (local and international)
- Recruit and monitor the performance of the medical team through regular appraisals and action plan follow-up
- Provide technical support to the medical supervisor and his team
- Organize regular meetings, briefings and debriefings with the medical team
- Train the medical staff (day to day mentoring and ad hoc thematic work shop) according to the identified needs
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes
Management of medical stock and logistic chain for medical purchase
- Define in advance the needs in consumables, and share the information with the medical coordinator for the procurement process
- Ensure the supervision of the pharmacist (consumptions, orders & inventory) and ensure that supported health facilities receive drugs and consumables on time
Coordination with UN agencies, NGOs, medical and local authorities
- Participate to the different medical meetings especially the health and nutrition clusters and any relevant medical coordination mechanisms
- Establish and maintain strong partnership with national NGOs involved in MdM medical program
- Establish and maintain good relationship with MoH/DHO to ensure all project activities are carried out with their agreement
- Coordinate with UN agencies and other NGOs working in the same areas to avoid program activities overlaps
- Organize regular meetings with district authorities and with the community leaders to maintain a full adherence to MdM medical program
Reporting and communication
- Participate to MdM internal meetings
- Contribute to monthly sitrep
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Fixed-term contract (9 months)
Position is based in Aden with regular travels to Sana’a and to Djibouti.
Starting date: December 1st 2019
Gross monthly salary: 2.817 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments – minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Medical Doctor or Nurse or Midwife with experience in Public health and medical program management
Significant experience in similar positions
Experience in hard negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in a tricky context
Team management experience
IT: Good knowledge of Windows (word, excel).
Languages: Fluent English is mandatory (oral and written), and knowledge of French or Arabic would be an asset.
Excellent communication skills, listening and diplomacy skills
Ability to have a global overview of a program (not only on medical plan)
Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
Excellent organizational skills
Respectful of a very traditional Muslim society
Capacity to work and to live in tense conditions (climate, cultural context, promiscuity, isolation)
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.