La Banque Mondiale recrute 01 ET Consultant ( Digital Development Specialist )
La Banque Mondiale
Banque et Assurances
ET Consultant ( Digital Development Specialist )
Job # : req13487
Organization : World Bank
Sector : Digital Development
Grade : EC2
Term Duration : 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type : Local Recruitment
Location : Niamey,Niger
Required Language(s) : English, French
Preferred Language(s) :
Closing Date : 11/18/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Infrastructure Practice Group
Globally, 840 million people live more than 2 kilometers from all-weather roads, 1 billion people lack electricity, and 4 billion people lack Internet access. Access to basic infrastructure services is critical for creating economic opportunities for the poor. The Infrastructure Practice Group is charged with developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging economies.
For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/infrastructure
Digital Development Global Practice
The Digital Development (DD) Global Practice is part of the Bank’s Infrastructure Practice Group. It plays a critical role in enabling the achievements of the Twin goals and the Sustainable Development Goals. Digital technologies are transforming firms, governments and people’s lives; and with the digital economy growing at a rate significantly higher than that of the global economy, it offers emerging economies a unique opportunity to leapfrog traditional paths for development through digital solutions.
Collaborating across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries, the Digital Development team helps design and deliver ICT-enhanced solutions to a diverse range of clients. The team supports clients (i) through advisory assistance to establish policy and regulatory environments that allow the widespread use of technology and create a trust environment; (ii) lending operations by building infrastructure to connect the unconnected, or enabling digital government shared platforms (cloud, digital, identification, etc.).
For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/digitaldevelopment
The DD Global Practice is led by a Director supported by five Practice Managers with specific regional responsibilities and global responsibilities. The IDD02 Unit is responsible of the Digital Development activities and portfolio in the Africa West / Central and Middle East / North Africa regions, including lending, supervision and analytical work.
IDD02 is looking for a Digital Development (DD) Specialist under an Extended Term Consultant (ETC) contract to be based in Niamey (Niger). English and French are essential for this position. The DD Specialist will report to the IDD02 Practice Manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
The ET Consultant will be responsible for:
• Contributing to the design, preparation and supervision of World Bank Group financed digital development related investment and policy reform programs in client countries with a particular emphasis on stimulating development of digital connectivity infrastructure through PPPs and regulatory/policy reforms, facilitating development of digital government IT infrastructure, platforms and services, and promoting development of digital skills and innovation as well as on addressing corporate requirements (e.g. climate change, gender, ….).
• Advising clients on strategies, best practices and design of programs to develop the foundations of their digital economies. This may include participating in complex technical assistance activities and providing ad hoc technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework for the ICT sector and wider digital economy as well as IT functions and digital services delivery within governments.
• Providing technical expertise and advice on a range of ICT policy and regulatory issues to promote competition, investment and innovation in the telecoms sector and broadband value chain with the aim of boosting affordability, service quality and access to digital connectivity by citizens, businesses and governments and to stimulate the downstream development of value-added digital services.
• Providing technical expertise and advice on policy, institutional reform, project development and execution to support the digitization of public administration and public services delivery in client countries.
• Liaising and providing guidance to colleagues working in other sectors (including agriculture, health, education, energy, financial services, transport, etc.) on how to leverage digital technologies to improve public service delivery and efficiency in the respective sectors.
• Developing innovative and practical approaches to solving difficult policy and operational issues for selected high priority telecommunications, ICT or digital economy related activities
• Contributing to policy dialogue with senior officials of client countries, regional institutions, private sector/industry, and development partner agencies.
• Preparing and supervising publication of best practice notes and reports on policy and regulation in the DD sector.
• Performing economic and financial analysis (market models, business models, etc.) to inform decisions on project designs, PPP schemes, financing plans, etc.
• Representing the DD Unit and the Bank at digital development related fora and events, as well as liaison in the above areas with key external partners.
• Master’s degree in telecommunications, engineering, computer science, law, economics, public policy or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience in ICT / Digital Economy policy and regulation and/or ICT /
• Digital Economy project design and implementation, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent conceptual and analytical skills, including ability to think strategically and innovatively about the role of digital technologies for socio-economic development and for transformation in other sectors of the economy.
• Strong technical and operational skills as evidenced in a proven track record in supporting the delivery of project operations and project implementation and supervision within the Bank or similar type of projects/products for other entities; knowledge and experience in World Bank Group Policy and Procedure Framework (PPF) is not mandatory but would be a plus.
• Firm understanding of digital technologies, digital transformation of society, and digitally enabled business model trends relevant to socio-economic development in the African context (especially West and Central Africa) and enthusiasm to stay abreast of new innovations.
• Strong client engagement skills, taking responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or project success.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and in French as demonstrated in a proven track record of effectively delivering technical information in a clear, easily understandable and effective manner.
• Excellent presentation skills, using charts, graphs and other data presentation techniques appropriately to communicate data, technical information, or complex concepts to non-specialists.
• Strong drive for results, taking personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results.
• Strong business judgment and analytical decision making, analyzing facts and data to support sound and logical business decisions.
• Proven ability to function effectively as a team member of multi-disciplinary teams and resolve conflicts constructively.
• Prior work experience in Africa (especially West and Central Africa), and good knowledge of sector issues in the region is a plus. Experience in Fragile Conflict and Violence environment would be an additional plus.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
WBG CORE COMPETENCIES
• Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.
• Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
• Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.