Johanniter-Unfall recruits 01 Head of Mission DR Congo
For our office in Goma, DRC, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Head of Mission
2 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance has been active in DRC since 1995, with a focus on North Kivu since 2008. Its overall objective is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. In close cooperation with the Ministry of Health, interventions aim to improve the access to quality primary health care, to support the nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (e.g. elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV) as well as improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene.
In a Nutshell
- You will be accountable for the delivery and effective management of the country programme, working closely with your staff and partners, Head Office and regional actors to deliver high quality programmes.
- You will develop, implement, monitor and review the country strategy and operational plan ensuring relevance to the country context and alignment with the Johanniter Global Strategy.
- You will develop and maintain strong national, local and regional relationships with local partners, NGOs, local authorities and donors, ensuring accountability, resource mobilisation and networking.
- You will lead and nurture a high performing team, creating and supporting an environment that prevents abuse and fraud in the workplace and results in strong partnerships, knowledge sharing, learning, and innovation, being ultimately responsible for all security issues in the country
- You will contribute to the management and leadership of Johanniter International Assistance globally.
What you will do:
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter shaping the country programme accordingly
- Contributes to the management and leadership of Johanniter International Assistance (JIA) as a member of the Johanniter International Management Group (IMG)
- Develops and implements the country strategy in line with the global JIA strategy
- Develops long-term programs and exit strategies
- Proactively explores, evaluates and presents new country and project funding opportunities
Country Programme Management
- Accountable for the effective and efficient management of the country programme, including planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Follows trends and developments in the country and considers these for the country programme
- Monitors humanitarian developments and manages the emergency response
- Develops and implements a business
- Responsible for the operational budget, timely financial reporting and cash flow management
- Ensures financial feasibility of the country programme, greatest impact and value for money.
Safety and Security
- Accountable for the Safety and Security of all staff, ensuring adherence to security plans and procedures that are regularly reviewed and adapted, maintaining regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders
Accountability & Compliance
- Ensures a robust transparent internal control system that all staff are aware of and comply with
- Ensures adherence to the commitments of CHS
- Ensures that policies and procedures are implemented, reviewed and understood by all staff
- Responsible for all legal matters (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.)
- Accountable to follow-up on all internal/external audit recommendations for the country program
- Works with HQ to ensure donor compliance requirements are understood and training provided
- Accountable for the development and implementation of a country programme funding strategy
- Seeks new funding opportunities with institutional and private donors
- Line manages national and international staff
- Manages operations in DRC, staffing plans, recruitment, budgets, funding and programme, in line with Johanniter’s policies and procedures, Code of Conduct, Performance Management, Security, Health and Safety and local legislation
- Ensures that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supportive and involved in key decision-making processes
- Maintains an open and trust-based dialogue ensuring alignment to the JIA and country strategy.
- Ensures capacity development and talent management.
- Creates an environment built on integrity, respect and accountability, in which all staff and volunteers are comfortable to work and feel safe.
- Promotes appropriate behaviours and applies a zero tolerance policy when people cause harm to others, holds those accountable who misbehave
Representation and Communication
- Builds and strengthens external relationships and represents Johanniter with all key stakeholders
- Supports Media and press work, prepare regular reports, updates and articles for HQ.
What you bring:
University degree (MA/ MSc) in a relevant field
- 7-10 years’ experience in a humanitarian context, minimum 3-5 years in a leadership role
- Context related experience in disaster response, humanitarian- and development cooperation programmes
- Programme and business strategies experience
- Knowledgeable of current debates and trends incl. relevant donors (AA, BMZ, ECHO, BHA)
- External representation experience and networking at senior level and on the ground, in network clusters, donors and Government
- Proven ability to drive continuous improvement
- Highly developed relationship building, influencing, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Clear thinker, calm & focussed under pressure, delivers results in exceptional circumstances
- Extensive people management skills and multiple years’ experience in managing teams
- Strategic and analytical thinking combined with a track record managing change
- Ability to deal with conflicts, manage resistance
- Excellent communication skills
- Willing to travel and work in high risk context
- Fluent in French and English
What we offer:
- Remuneration: 56,640 – 59,624€/annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff – relevant previous experience).
- Benefits: Social security (lump sum 485€/month for expats not under German social security); rental contribution 300 €/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance (currently 1440€ – 1680€/month.
- Please note this position is unaccompanied.
If this is what you are looking for:
Apply to email@example.com (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date. Please submit your application in English and indicate “Head of Mission DRC” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Deadline for applications: 28 July 2021
Interviews planned for 01 – 10 August 2021
We will only notify short-listed candidates.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We require background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.