IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2021 (Up to $20,000)
Applications are open for the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award 2021. The Award was created to honor the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014), with a generous $1 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation.
With this Award, the IWMF celebrates the courageous work of women photojournalists like Anja who inspire us to take action and better understand the world. This courageous work manifests in many different forms which may include but is not limited to conflict or frontline reporting.
- The Award winner will be publicly honored, have her work showcased, and receive a cash prize of $20,000.
- Open to full-time journalists.
- Journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation.
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible.
- Identify as women.
Applications are not accepted based on length of work or engagement in conflict areas. No matter your level of experience, you have a story to tell; if you are dedicated to your work in journalism and passionate about your content, apply!
Each nomination and application must include candidate information, work samples made up of a series of 12 photographs, and a candidate/nomination statement.
For Work Sample:
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- All submissions are made via a “Story” created from your Visura photographer’s dashboard.
- Stories should be set to ‘private’ within the Visura system.
- Image size: minimum 1600px on the longest dimension (22.5 inches @ 72 dpi, JPG format)
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the date, place, and situation captured.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years (2019-2021). The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Limit one story per photographer.
For Candidate/Nomination Statement:
Submissions must include an up-to-500 words candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the submitted photographs with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.