IPPFAR recruits 01 Senior Advocacy Specialist
The postholder will support the advocacy team in intergovernmental spaces to popularise the Maputo Plan of Action and other SRHR policy instruments.
S/he will lead sub regional advocacy initiative, overseeing and monitoring the MPoA implementation in programme designated countries (Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Senegal and Sierra Leone).
S/he will contribute to favourable legislation on abortion services to enable access to services for women and girls.
The incumbent serves as programme coordinator providing coordination and leadership while ensuring efficient implementation and accomplishment of the set objectives of the programme.
S/he will provide content knowledge, technical assistance, consultation, and support for the development and execution of the MPoA advocacy, policy communication and overall implementation of activities, among others.
2. KEY TASKS
• S/he engages in high level advocacy for SRHR, particularly the Maputo Plan of Action (MPoA) at regional, sub-regional and national levels.
• Represents and advocates for the Maputo Plan of Action Implementation Programme at the African Union, key regional forums and in countries of collaboration.
• Provides leadership and expert advice in policy review when required.
• Conceptualizes and provides leadership support for technical activities in policy review.
• Supports individual and institutional capacity building efforts for a diverse cadres of safe abortion champions in advocacy, policy education, sensitisation, communications and negotiations.
• Prepares abortion policy analysis, recommendations, policy briefs, and assessments for programme use.
• Supervises the design, printing and dissemination of policy briefs and policy communication materials in English and other AU languages to audiences at national and regional levels.
• Stays abreast of key developments in SRHR and abortion policies at the African Union and member states in order to inform technical support activities. This shall include frequent interaction with the stakeholders relevant to this area as well as other partners.
• Influences favourable SRHR policy outcomes from all African Union processes (STCs, summits, etc).
• Supervises short-term programme consultancy in all safe abortion policy and policy communication activities.
• Provides assistance on monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and documentation of project results.
• Conducts all work to accepted standards of programme ethics.
• Actively participates and drives the development of annual work planning, design, implementation, and reporting related to project technical activities.
• Responds to ad hoc technical requests from member states, the donor and other agencies as directed by the Resident Representative.
• Mobilises resource for the replication of the initiative to other potential countries.
• Undertakes any duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or his/her representative from time to time.
• Exercises high degree of accountability – ensuring timely submission of finance reports as required.
• S/he shall embrace safeguarding as well as all organisational policies;
• To undertake any other duties as may be requested by the Head of Office.
Experience / Training
• MA Degree in social sciences, public policy/health, public administration, international relations, communications and/or other related technical fields
3. WORK EXPERIENCE
• A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in political and policy advocacy and/or communications.
• Knowledge of the African Union and UN systems, Africa Regional Economic Communities (RECs), Member State/Intergovernmental Processes is required.
• Demonstrated strength and experience providing technical assistance, writing technical reports, and policy briefs targeted towards decision makers.
English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
How to apply
For more details on the job description and on how to apply please visit https://www.ippfar.org/jobs
IPPF offers a wide range of benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications are particularly encouraged from women, people living with disabilities, people living with HIV and minorities.