Intersos recruits 01 Project Manager / multi sector (health-nutrition-protection)
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager – multi sector (health-nutrition-protection)
Duty station: Sana’a and Aden, 50-50% roving, with regular visits to the project governorates: Hajja and Aden
Starting date: 01/05/2019
Contract duration: 11 months
Reporting to: Hierarchically to Program Coordinator, functionally to Health-Nutrition Coordinators and Protection Coordinators
Supervision of: 3 protection teams: 2 roving protection teams in Hajja (1 in Qafl Shamer and 1 in Ku’aydina) linked to 3 health facilities and 1 protection team running a community center in Al-Buraiqa in Aden. 5 health and nutrition teams: 3 at 3 health facilities in Hajja (1 in Qafl Shamer and 2 in Ku’aydina) and 2 running 2 mobile clinics covering collective IDP sites in Dar Sa’ad and Al-Buraiqa (Aden). The total number of staff for all 8 teams is in total about: 129 staff, in addition to 32 volunteers The project manager is supervising 2 national project managers, 1 for Hajja and 1 for Aden.
General context of the project
The project targets Qafl Shamer and Ku’aydinah in Hajja and Al-Buraiqa and Dar Sa’ad in Aden, providing emergency health and nutrition services, integrated with protection services for conflict and displacement affected people. For health and nutrition services, the project follows the by cluster defined MSP – by level of care (incl. mental health and GBV medical services). The services at health facilities-HFs (Hajja) or provided by mobile clinic teams-MCTs (Aden) include Reproductive Health/Maternal, Neonatal, Child Health, deliveries and antenatal and postnatal care for mothers; newborn care, immunization, deworming, vitamin.
A supplementation, screening for malnutrition, treatment for acute malnutrition cases, health education, outpatient treatment for common ailments, integrating Infant and Young Child Feeding in nutrition treatment and prevention. For protection, the project provides emergency protection services for the most vulnerable, targeting Persons with Specific Needs (incl. persons with disabilities), Child Protection cases and GBV survivors, integrating protection activities with health, providing individual case management services and collective PSS provided from a community center (CC) or a HF, while community volunteers ensure community acceptance, outreach and referral. Community awareness will be tailored per target, age and gender group. For Hajja, INTERSOS will support 3 existing HFs, by support for staff, drugs, equipment and running cost, as well as running 2 ambulances, and will have 2 protection teams covering to the catchment area of the 3 health facilities, working from a room provided in the health facility. For Aden, INTERSOS will run 2 MCTs, targeting the IDPs staying in collective shelters and other concentration areas in Dar Sa’ad and Al-Buraiqa districts. A CC will be set up in Al-Buraiqa, to address the protection needs of the IDPs and HC (while a CC was already established in Dar Sa’ad with OCHA funding).
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the DG ECHO funded project entitled: “Provision of emergency primary and secondary health & nutrition services, with integration of protection services, for conflict and displacement affected people, in Aden and Hajjah governorates”.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description.
- Guarantee an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
- Team management (staff and volunteers)
- Deliver quality project activities reporting, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project.
Ensure the full and timely implementation of the project proposal as approved, pro-actively respecting deadlines for reporting:
- Team recruitment, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files
- Prepare and organize training for volunteers and staff
- Project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
- Review and prepare a detailed activity plan with team
- Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines
- Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
- Ensure security assessment for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a pro-active manner to the Head of Mission and Security Focal point
- Secure drug store management
Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly liquidity plan
- Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff
- Establish a participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion.
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
- Ensure good practice and system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with other INTERSOS programmes/project staff.
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files
- Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries.
- Applying a result-based management approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project.
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
- Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS PAT reporting tool
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: Prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming. Reporting must at all times be gender and age disaggregated per OCHA gender and age marker guidelines.
- Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
- Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
Coordination and representation:
- Attend the health cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to HNC, program coordinator and HoM.
- Conduct regular meetings with the donor representatives and facilitates field visits by donor missions (when security allows for).
- Coordinate with MoPHP, Executive Unit for IDPs and MOPIC to assure the timely signature of sub-agreement.
- Support INTERSOS with the outlining of its Yemen Country strategy, in particular for the development of an integrated strategy towards end of 2019.
- Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Yemen. Proactively participate in health cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for Yemen, also relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings at national level.
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the HOM and other programme staff.
- Coordinate with other INTERSOS projects/sectors for effective and efficient referral of cases between INTERSOS projects/sectors
- Perform any other related duties as required.