INTERSOS recruits 01 Medical Coordinator – Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Medical Coordinator
Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Starting date: 02/01/2023
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Deputy Medical Coordinator
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
According to the Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan 2022, 8.4 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in the north-east and north-west of the country, with the majority of them being women and children who are facing significant protection risks. The people in need is likely to increase due to continuation of insecurity in the intervention areas with IDPs fleeing to relatively safer places.
INTERSOS has been rendering humanitarian responses in Nigeria since 2016, providing life-saving support from the most affected communities such as health and nutrition, covid-19 response and vaccination, protection, food security and livelihoods, shelter, access to clean water and sanitation, camp coordination, and common warehouse management.
General purpose of the position
- The Medical Coordinator will, in collaboration with the Medical Department, Programme Coordinator and the Head of Mission, lead the defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission, and to provide technical oversight and medical quality assurance of the programmes.
- Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
- Take a leading role in guiding the design of new health, nutrition and Covax programmes, and ensuring quality assurance of on-going health and nutrition programmes, including medical and non-medical commodities.
- Ensure strong coordination with other sectors to contribute to the integrated approach.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Responsible for leading the Mission’s health emergency preparedness, capacity, and response strategy, including the COVID-19 response strategy to ensure safety of staff and beneficiaries, and continuity of the Mission’s programmes amidst the pandemic.
- Responsible for representing INTERSOS externally in the Health and Nutrition sectoral coordination meetings, and with UN agencies, INGOs, MOH and other government directorates.
- Design project proposals for international donors and private foundations, in collaboration with the HQ Medical Department.
- In liaison with the H/Q based Health Advisor, the Medical Coordinator is responsible for defining and guiding the Mission’ on health and nutrition strategy, including monitoring and updating the medical and nutrition content of the Mission’s policies, guidelines, standards and SOPs for medical and nutrition programming.
- In liaison with Program/Project Managers and other coordinators, lead in translating the identified health and nutrition needs into a strategic vision and objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved.
- The Medical Coordinator has the overall responsibility for the appropriateness and quality of medical and nutrition interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centered activities
- Continuously monitor the medical, nutrition and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical and nutrition technical aspects, humanitarian needs, and in coordination with the program/project managers – to identify the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analyzing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication)
- Coach and directly support the medical and nutrition teams in the quality implementation of the medical and nutrition activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of the Ministry of Health, Health Sector and the Nutrition Sector.
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols.
- Responsible for enforcing best practices in Medical Supply Chain Management, including that there is adequate stock of medical and non-medical supplies.
- Responsible for supervising the pharmacy inventories by supporting the Pharmacy manager in a way that wastes such as due to expiry dates is well controlled.
- Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects.
- Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
- Responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting to HQ Medical Referent to ensure a proper monitoring of the program and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs.
Three Key Deliverables:
- Good external relations outcome is a key performance indicator for the position.
- Number of successful proposals/projects is a critical success indicator for this mission.
- The Mission’s public health emergency preparedness and response capacity.
Expériences / Formation
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies
- Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a Degree in Public Health
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in a similar role in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Ability to deliver high-quality work in short periods of time
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Multi-language knowledge desirable
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effective results
- Respect of INTERSOS mission and values.
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/field/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/637326ecf149b30022bcc7aa
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.