Intersos recruits 01 Head of Base/Program Coordinator
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base / Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Kandahar – Afghanistan
Starting date: 29/04/2019
Contract duration: 8 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Project Managers (national/expat), M&E officers (national) 1 Log, 1 Finance, 1 HR and 1 security officer (national)
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure.
INTERSOS has base office in Kandahar with a number of projects and between 100-300 staff and paid volunteers working in Southern Region (depending on the number of projects). INTERSOS is implementing a multi-sector programme covering the sectors of : health, protection, WASH and EiE. in several districts.The office in Kabul serves for coordination, support and representation.
General purpose of the position
The Program Coordinator and HoB will support the Head of Mission with the country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies, as well as with daily management of Kandahar base.
As Programme Coordinator, he/she is responsible for:
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the projects
- Providing support to Project Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Directly responsible for the line management of the Project Managers (in coordination with HoM), while working collaboratively with the Protection and Health Coordinators
- Play a key role in the definition and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations
- Lead the development of new concepts and proposals (writing of the narrative sections and contributing to the design of the budget) under the supervision of the HoM and in cooperation with the Technical Coordinators
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the protection, education and health programs, participating also in the donor reporting
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings
- Acting Head of Mission in the absence of Head of Mission
As Head of Base, he/she is responsible for:
- Oversee the Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Kandahar
- Ensuring smooth running of the operations
S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations and partnerships.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provide support and supervision to Project Managers through regular field visits, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programs.
- Supervise, plan, monitor and ensure the quality of work throughout the programs.
- Liaise with support departments for a smooth running of the operations
- Human Resources and operational support to Project Managers.
- Play the role of line manager for Project Managers and support them on the operational issues
- Monitoring, evaluation and supervision of project management
- Provide direction to Project Managers on the work planning, budgets burnt rate and all the operational and management issues;
- Support Project Managers in the planning and the monitoring of the achievement of the activities, deliverables and budget.
- Ensure the quality of projects in cooperation with the technical coordinators
- Provide feedbacks on the monthly monitoring tool (PAT) to PMs
- Ensure that the Project Managers produce high quality donor reports and work in close collaboration on their preparation
- Organizing programme meetings on a monthly basis.
- In collaboration with HR and HoM, support the recruitment of new staff
- Build the capacities and supervise the Project Managers
- Responsible of the evaluation and completion of the Internal Review Process (IRP) of all project Managers under line management responsibilities
- Identify capacity building for the national and international staff in relations to programmes (nationalization of the staff is a priority of the mission).
Strategy development and fundraising
- Lead the definition of the programming strategy for INTERSOS with HoM and other Technical Coordinators
- Support the HoM on design of the Afghanistan Country Strategy.
- Lead identification of potential funding opportunities and process of writing proposals.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at coordination meetings.
- Support technical coordinators in maintaining productive working relationships with Health, Education and Protection Clusters as well as Child Protection and other relevant Working Groups at the regional level.
- Ensuring the participation of INTERSOS to relevant Working Groups and Task Forces (responsibilities can be delegated)
- Briefing Head of Mission, Technical Coordinators and relevant Project Managers on discussions held during working groups.
- Developing strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Monthly report to be submitted to the Head of Mission as drawn from the PATs and discussions with Project Managers regarding:
- Trends and analysis of the humanitarian context
- Activities and programme achievements
- Submission of reports to donors and/or region and INTERSOS Headquarters
Head of Base
- Oversee the logistics, administration/finance and HR operations in Kandahar base, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Kandahar base.
- Support the security analysis and support the HoM in updating the CPPs in the field base, the SOPs and in any other security-related task.
- Support the HoM on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Cooperate with the Logistic coordinator for any logistic and procurement-related tasks in the field base.
- Cooperate with the Country Finance Officer for the supervision of the financial and administrative aspects in the field base.
- Cooperate with the HR manager for the implementation of the HR procedures at field level.
- Support project field staff in the filed base in the optimal and efficient organization (in terms of administration and logistics) for a smooth implementation of the projects.
- Perform any other related duties as required.