INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Deputy Regional Director YAL (Yemen, Afghanistan, Libya)
Duty station: Tunis or Rome with frequent field missions in Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya
Starting date: 01/05/2020
Contract duration: 1 year
Reporting to: Regional Director YAL
Supervision of: N/A
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected.
The present organizational structure of INTERSOS Programmes department is made of a team of one Director of Programmes, four Regional Directors, four Deputy Regional Directors, three Programme Protection Advisors, two Medical Referents and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Deputy Regional Director (DRD) is assisting the Regional Director on the management, strategic programming, implementation of activities and achievement of objectives related to the geographic area of competence, as well as in the identification and formulation of new interventions. For the implementation of these tasks, several missions on the field should be necessary. The DRD will be dedicated to the YAL (Yemen, Afghanistan, Libya) Region.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Contribute, with Regional Director to the design of the strategies and the identification of the geographical areas and sectors of intervention to be privileged
- Support Heads of Mission and key staffs in defining, programming and planning activities and organizational aspects in line with the identified strategy
- Support Heads of Mission and Senior Management Team in the management of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries
- In collaboration with Heads of Mission and Senior Management Team is responsible for supervising, analysing and evaluating key variables of the design of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency). In case of need and under supervision of Regional Director produce requested programmatic documentation (e.g.: proposal, annexes)
- Coordinate, supervise and assess, through the review of PAT and/or other tools, the level of progress achieved by each project. Advise missions in project implementation and monitor the status of the program regularly reporting to Regional Director
- Collaborate with Heads of Mission and Senior Management Team for ensuring systematic updating of needs analyses and critical context factors
- Guarantee, in collaboration with Head of Missions, Regional Finance Coordinator and under the supervision of Regional Director, the respect of INTERSOS Organization Management and Control Model and the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures, rules and policies for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
- Support the mission guarantying that Head of Missions and Senior Management Team submit timely mission documentation and reports to donors and HQ. Control the content of narrative reports, in collaboration with Technical Units
- Collaborate with Human Resources department for the management of Human Resources and to create a pleasant atmosphere in the missions:
- collaborate to the analysis of HR needs
- if needed, and under the supervision of Regional Director, participate to the recruitment process of key staffs
- motivate and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
- promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region. Engage in direct capacity building when/as needed
- promote growth, development and empowerment of National Staffs
- In coordination with Head of Missions, follow up staff requests preparation and submission, to recruit new staffs in the geographic area of competence in line with budget availability
- Regularly update INTERSOS database (IMP) content for the sections of HQ competence on the basis of the information provided by Heads of Mission and Project Managers and verify accuracy of data
- Collaborate with Communication and Fundraising department to promote contents, visibility and awareness of the Organization’s work, goals, and financial needs
Expériences / Formation
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in Human Sciences or International Relations.
- At least 3 years of field working experience in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
- Budget management skills
- Strong and proven project design skills
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting
- Robust technical competences in protection and education in emergency
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Previous experience in people management
- ICT literacy compulsory;
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Proficiency in English and French is required
- Italian is a strong plus
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Strategic thinking
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-00-1396 – Deputy Regional Director YAL”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.