Senior Communications Officer, Africa Industries
Job #: req18995
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Johannesburg,South Africa
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French
Closing Date: 9/30/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Senior Communications Officer will be an integral member of the Regional Communications unit in the Communications and Outreach Department.
The Regional Communications Unit’s objectives include supporting IFC’s operations, strengthening IFC’s brand, and communicating its development impact to internal and external clients to galvanize IFC’s position as the premier development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with other communications units in the department, Regional Communications also promotes IFC’s thought leadership and a better understanding of the key role of private sector in development, as well as managing reputational risks around IFC’s investments and policies.
The Senior Communications Officer will be responsible for implementing IFC’s communications strategy and content development across industry groups in Africa, covering financial institutions, manufacturing, agribusiness, tourism, health, education, infrastructure, technology, and other business areas. The Senior Communications Officer will be a key member of the Africa communications team, working with industry management and operational teams across the region.
The position will report to the Africa Communications Lead, and will be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications professional to implement the communications strategies for IFC’s industry/thematic business activities in Africa. The successful candidate will have a solid background in communications, preferably with experience in Africa, and will help to devise and implement strategies that position IFC as the leading international development finance organization supporting the private sector.
Specific work areas include the following:
• Products: Conceptualizes and supervises the preparation, production and dissemination of communication products (e.g., news releases, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, speeches, etc.) and thought leadership for the department. Writes and/or oversees preparation of high-profile speeches, talking points, op-eds, and presentations, as well as client-facing collateral and internal staff engagement content.
• Networks: Initiates effective professional relationships with key external and/or internal constituencies (e.g., the media, civil society, academia, businesses, government agencies, influencers, World Bank Group colleagues, etc.).
• Events: Oversees planning, coordination, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for IFC-organized conferences and seminars, executive missions and speeches, public or broadcast appearances, press briefings, and other communications-related activities involving external and/or internal audiences.
• Risk management: Supports risk identification and mitigation activities in the context of regional and operational communication interventions; advises specific internal and external stakeholders; and provides political economy analysis for relevant industries. Focus includes current events, public opinion, social or political issues, and other external or internal developments related to IFC’s support for the private sector.
• Team coordination: Coordinates closely with other colleagues on the regional communications team and in other parts of the VPU, especially the Global Industry and Thematic Communications team, to ensure alignment of messages and mining of global content relevant to Africa.
• Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 8 or more years’ experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, a degree in Business Administration and/or working experience in Investment Operations will be valued.
• Strong knowledge and experience working across in markets in Africa and the private sector a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage relationships with senior industry colleagues and content experts and contribute to strategy development.
• Proven ability to capture trends, case studies and innovations in communications products in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner.
• Demonstrates in-depth understanding of communications tactics, audience segmentation, communications metrics.
• Highly developed verbal and written communications skills, ability to convey complex messages succinctly and diplomatically. Demonstrates in-depth understanding of communications tactics, target audience, highly effective writing style, and expertise in high-impact messaging to wider and more strategic audiences.
• Demonstrated ability manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders, senior industry experts, and content experts.
• Self-motivated, creative, excellent organizational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks.
• Understanding of multilateral development institutions, including the World Bank Group, its policies, and operations; understanding of current development topics and issues.
• WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
• The candidate should be available to travel widely across Africa, including in difficult markets where security risks may prevail.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.