ICFJ/Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2021 ($5,000 prize)
Deadline: January 17, 2021
Applications for the ICFJ/Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2021 are now open. The Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling, a collaboration between the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family, honors up-and-coming journalists in Africa who strives to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent.
Due to ongoing travel restrictions as a result of COVID-19, the 2021 program will take place virtually. ICFJ will arrange a series of approximately 10 virtual meetings over the course of the fellowship, featuring media and experts from U.S. and U.K. newsrooms as well as former Michael Elliott Award winners. ICFJ will tailor these sessions to the interests of the award winners. The sessions will include meetings with journalists from prominent international outlets, such as the Washington Post, The Economist, Al Jazeera and others.
- The two 2021 winners will also receive a $5,000 cash prize.
- The winners will be invited to take part in a virtual internship with prestigious media outlets where they will have access to editorial meetings and media experts and share their own experiences with top journalists.
- Open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast and online news media. Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling. We are looking for impactful investigative or explanatory pieces, especially those that illuminate transformational change in Africa.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations. We welcome submissions from print, broadcast or digital journalists. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual or mixed media.
- The submitted story must be published between December 1, 2019, and December 1, 2020.
The application deadline is Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.