HumaniTerra International recruits 01 Program Coordinator
HumaniTerra International (HTI) is a non-governmental organization specialized in surgery. Its mission is to provide surgical assistance to the most vulnerable and disadvantaged populations, and more generally to improve access to surgical care in the contexts where this mission is needed. It can also engage in advocacy. Since its creation in 1998, more than 800 professionals have committed to carry out this mission.
We are now looking for a committed humanitarian leader (senior position) with a solid NGO coordination experience and necessary management and diplomatic skills to manage this key NGO platform in Bangladesh in the next 6 months.
This recruitment is managed by HUMANITERRA HQ
- Keys responsibilities:
The Coordinator leads and manages HumaniTerra program to external stakeholders, providing high level liaison, information, coordination and advocacy services and acting as the first point of contact for NGO members and external stakeholders. Key functions include:
- Overall management of HUMANITERRA project
- Networking and coordination
- Information management.
Overall Management of HUMANITERRA (including grant and project cycle management, donor relations and reporting, reporting to the HQ):
- Performance management and coaching regional staff. Recruitment of HUMANITERRA staff.
- Overall financial control over membership funds and grants for HUMANITERRA office
- Maintain financial records of all financial transactions including bank accounts, petty cash accounts, issuing invoices and receipts, donor reporting, audits, asset management, etc.
- Provide monthly financial updates to the HQ.
- Donor liaison : upholding close and supporting relations with the broader donor community, and reporting to donors in cooperation with host agencies.
- Fundraising : fundraising to achieve HUMANITERRA’s longer term financial sustainability
- Strategic Planning: In consultation with members and the Steering Committee development of HUMANITERRA’s workplans, strategy, mandate, terms of references, etc.
- Uphold close consultation with host agencies and HQ
- Ensure professional management of HUMANITERRA members
Leadership and Representation:
- Represent HUMANITERRA members at key meetings (including HOPE-HTI coordination meeting, the Health Sector Meeting and sub-sector meetings, all surgery-related meetings, the Emergency Preparedness meeting, the Field Hospital group meetings, the Team Leaders meeting of the NGO platforms and the Inter-Sector Coordination Group, UNFPA, WHO) with HOPE Foundation, UN, Donors, NGO communities and Government Representatives in Bangladesh, in the region and further afield as requested by the membership. Produce feedback to the HQ following representation on behalf of HUMANITERRA, including on formal coordination bodies and bilateral meetings.
- Maintain constructive relations with the Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator, UNHCR/IOM and the Inter Sector Coordination Group/NGO Platform; and other external actors such as the French Embassy. Represent HUMANITERRA members to external stakeholders on national and international levels. Uphold effective information sharing relations with key external stakeholders and global NGO bodies.
- Uphold professional close working relationship with key officials of the Government and regional/local authorities in cooperation with Regional Focal Points. Delegate as relevant and appropriate.
- Stay informed on key national, regional and international developments and regularly update members on issues of key relevance.
- Provide leadership within HUMANITERRA Advocacy Group along side HOPE Foundation and facilitates identification and production of key messages and advocacy related publications.
- Consistently uphold strong cooperation with external stakeholders and national/international NGO groups on key issues of concern to the NGO membership, with a special communication with local partner HOPE Foundation
- The Coordinator reports to the HQ and is line managed by the director and the operation manager
- The Coordinator is doing also the report for donors.
- The Coordinator may be asked by the HQ to write brief article for external communication (HumaniTerra’s website, facebook page,…)
- Posting details:
- This position is based in Cox Bazar with frequent travel. He/she must be able to exercise a large degree of common sense and personal discipline. The work undertaken by the post holder and his/her behaviour will have a direct effect on the safety and security of individuals operating in Bangladesh. The post holder must be duly aware of this and be prepared to meet this challenge.
- The position requires the holder to be able to work effectively and efficiently, unsupervised and show a high degree of initiative. The selected candidate must be able to plan and manage his or her own time effectively and delegate efficiently. The holder must exercise a strong work ethic and take responsibility for his/her own and his/her staffs’ actions.
- He/She must at all times work towards fulfilling the HUMANITERRA Mandate and show a high degree of diplomacy and personal integrity.
- The position requires the holder to be able to undertake tasking at short notice with due regard to the security environment. It requires a high degree of flexibility with respect to working hours.
- The post holder will hold a key leadership position within a multi-cultural team working in a very busy environment.
- Qualifications and experience required:
- Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, development studies, social sciences or related field
- At least five (3) years of practical work experience at a managerial level within NGOs / UN in humanitarian work in developing countries. Direct work experience with NGOs required.
- Direct work experience as a manager.
- Strong management skills including staff and financial management.
- Proven experience in development and maintenance of multi-stakeholders networks and proactive coordination experience.
- Proven experience in high quality production of reports and analysis. Strong facilitation skills.
- Demonstrable experience with advocacy (NGO or other stakeholder).
- Skills and competencies:
- Excellent communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and professional experience at a management level.
- Proven understanding and experience of advocacy within a complex humanitarian context. Strong willingness to work and adapt to the NGO sector in compliance with basic humanitarian principles.
- Demonstrated ability to make clear and articulate presentations of complex information. Strong analytical and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the humanitarian system and the UN humanitarian project cycle.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of initiative and engagement. Demonstrated capacity to recognize when and where proactive action is required and to initiate timely and appropriate action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and to coordinate with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding and work experience on conflict/security issues would be deemed an added benefit.
- Strong diplomacy skills.
Languages: English mandatory
- English : Fluent with excellent writing capacities.
- French : French speakers are highly appreciated
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet.