HOT recruits 01 Regional Finance Manager – West and Northern Africa Hub
Work Location: Dakar (West & Northern Africa Regional Hub), relocation possible (flexible)
- Application Close Date: April 22, 2022
- Estimated Start date: May 15, 2022
- Department: Open Mapping Hub – West Africa
- Reports to: Regional Hub Director (line manager), Senior Global Finance Manager (Functional Manager )
- Terms: Full time, one year initial contract
- Level: 8
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) sits at the nexus of participatory mapping, community-led development, humanitarian response, open data and tech. With a talented and diverse team spread around the globe, HOT is an NGO which supports a dynamic global community of thousands of dedicated volunteers using maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. Working with humanitarian and development partners like the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, UN agencies, governments and others, the HOT community maps in solidarity with those affected by or at risk of disaster, contributing the maps and data aid workers need to do their lifesaving work.
In 2020 the work of the HOT community was recognized by TED’s Audacious Project, a collaborative philanthropic initiative that serves as a springboard for social impact on a grand scale, leading to an exciting new phase of growth. HOT is expanding its activities: opening four regional hubs and scaling up its support to local mapping communities with the audacious goal of mapping an area home to one billion people in 94 countries at high risk of disasters or experiencing poverty – mapping with communities before they are in crisis.
HOT is looking for someone passionate about, and experienced in financial management in international non-profit organizations. You should be able to work within a fast-paced, international organization responding to urgent crises and persistent development issues. You should be excited about working with an international team in a start-up context. You will work on a broad range of tasks and projects and have exposure to all aspects of the functioning of the organization.
About the Role
In consultation with the Regional Hub Director, you will advise and/or assist in formulating and implementing Finance and Administration programs, policies, procedures, and processes for the West and Northern Africa Hub of Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT). As first point of contact for all general Finance and Administration related queries, you will work in close collaboration with the global finance team, and you will address and/or redirect queries as appropriate on the below scope of responsibilities.
This role will be prioritized for applicants from the West Africa region. To learn more about which countries HOT plans to work in in West Africa, please see here.
- Management and responsibility of all financial matters related to HOT’s operation and presence in the region, including but not limited to:
- Providing finance and administrative support to the WNAH;
- Overseeing the day-to-day accounting function in the WNA region finance office: recording and reporting cash flow transactions, accounts payable,accounts receivable, payroll, month close, financial reporting, etc.;
- Leading the WNA regional Hub annual budget creation and participate in project budget development;
- Preparing and submitting monthly fund requests and financial reports to HOT Global;
- Managing payroll, taxes, and other NGO compliance filings in the WNAH and other regional requirements;
- Participation in establishing country and region-specific financial policies & procedures for the WNAH alongside the Senior Global Finance Manager and the Director of Finance & Operations;
- Creating financial procedures to implement fiscal policies in the regional office, related to banking, accounts receivable & accounts payable, procurement, financial controls & reporting, and government compliance;
- Ongoing oversight of adherence to fiscal policies through monthly reviews and internal audits;
- Participating in monthly calls with HOT’s Senior Global Finance Manager and/or the HOT Finance team;
- Carry out all necessary checks to ensure compliance with HOT procedures as well as donors and other rules and regulations.
- Translate accounting documents as needed.
- Support the opening and management of a local bank account.
- Monitor and reconcile all bank accounts.
- Verify correct account codes are used for all transactions.
- Support project budget holders on budget preparation, control and monitoring.
- Enhance the capacity of local partners/communities and manage inherent risks as well
- Lead in supporting internal & external financial audits of the region
- Acting as the officer manager and assist the WNAH Regional Director with all administration tasks required to successfully perform the team’s roles, including HR-related responsibilities as well as adherence to the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Carrying out any and all other finance, administration and office management duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Master in accounting, finance or equivalent, CPA or ACCA a plus
- Fluent in English and French
- An understanding of financial management and accounting in nonprofit organizations
- Knowledge of the regional legal, HR and administrative requirements for non-profit organizations
- Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Proven experience developing and/or implementing finance policies & procedures
- Experience in carrying out financial training with start-ups or small NGOs
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems
- Honest and reliable
- Knowledge and experience with USAID rules and regulations are highly desirable
- 5-7 years finance experience in non-profit or non-governmental organizations
- 3-5 year experience working internationally, in the region or globally.Managing large grants and contracts
- Working with remote/virtual teams; and,
- Experience with US federal government regulations, in particular USAID
Enjoys working in a small and committed team with a fast-paced startup and entrepreneurial culture.
Are you missing a few of the technical skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
Top 2 – 3 priorities for the first 60 to 90 days
- Put in place all the financial procedures to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency in WNAH activities,
- Provide financial support to WNAH projects for their effective implementation,
- Support the WNAH for an autonomy in financial operations and in the execution of administrative tasks to achieve its objectives.
HOT values transparency and equity. All HOT compensation globally is set according to a framework detailed on our website. HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, and various other benefits that support staff wellbeing.
We seek to recruit persons that reflect the diversity of the communities we work with and further, to support their retention and advancement within the organization. HOT does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. HOT is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity in all locations. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.
HOT is committed to diversity within our team, and recognizes our role in closing the digital divide, including identifying obstacles that certain groups face in developing skills needed for roles in the humanitarian & technology sectors. Women, nationals of developing countries, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.