Hot Job: Afrobarometer Communications Coordinator for East Africa Region
Deadline: November 22, 2019
Afrobarometer is seeking a qualified individual to become their Communications Coordinator for East Africa Region. The Afrobarometer communications coordinator for East Africa region, to be based at the Institute for Development Studies (IDS), University of Nairobi, Kenya, will be responsible for managing and supporting network communications activities of national partner organizations in about 10 countries in eastern Africa.
S/he will support, mentor, and monitor partners in planning and implementing communications activities to promote the visibility, use, and impact of Afrobarometer survey findings, such as conducting dissemination events, giving presentations, writing press releases and analytical papers, conducting social media campaigns, and developing working relationships with media and policy actors in government, civil society, and academia. S/he will support Afrobarometer in developing and implementing a continent-wide communications strategy.
For the successful candidate, the position will be an opportunity to develop and implement creative communications strategies while learning about social science research, building international networks of media and policy actors, and helping to strengthen research capacity and democracy in Africa.
- Salary commensurate with skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably post-graduate studies or degree in journalism or communications
- At least three to five years of related work experience, or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems
- Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Experience in networking with policymakers such as members of parliament and local government leaders
- Strong management skills:
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously, set and meet deadlines, ensure that NPs do the same
- Ability to manage own work with little supervision
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multi-national environment
- Fluency in English; proficiency in French and/or Portuguese not required but a major advantage.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Experience with, or demonstrated aptitude for, basic data analysis
- Experience with, and interest in, use of social media
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology
- Demonstrated skill in the use of Microsoft Office Suite; experience with SPSS is desirable but not required; experience with video-editing software is an advantage but not required
- Willingness to travel frequently in the East Africa region, and occasionally beyond
Application letter with CV should be sent to Afrobarometer Project Manager for East Africa region at firstname.lastname@example.org