Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
HI has been working in Bangladesh since 1997, with a focus on creating sustainable changes in terms of ensuring rights and inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
In Cox Bazar’s district, HI has a strong knowledge and experience in chronic emergency response. Thanks to three projects implemented before the crisis, HI is providing services in rehabilitation, protection and PSS, with an inclusive mainstreaming approach to refugees and host population. HI works not only with people with disabilities and other vulnerable populations, but also with their families, their communities, and the society, in order to provide sustainability in its action.
In response to the massive influx of refugees, HI also set-up an emergency intervention responding to the needs of thousands of refugees. Multi-sectorial mobile teams are currently working in 13 camps located in both Teknaf and Ukhyia Upazilas providing services in physical rehabilitation, primary health care, protection and PSS. Because of the extremely vulnerability of certain persons, the mobile intervention are combined with a static approach in the camps in order to provide comprehensive services.
In addition, HI is directly operating physical Rehabilitation services in 3 hospitals and 2 clinics located in the districts serving both Rohingyas Refugees and Host population.
As for its operational strategy for 2020, HI seek for opportunities to expand the provision of Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) services in the camps through its existing MU and to provide outreach physical rehabilitation services (home visits) in Host Communities.
Under direct line management of the Bangladesh Country Director, you will be responsible for strategic management of HI’s activities in the Cox’s Bazar area and management of the relevant support offices.
Responsibility 1: REPRESENTATION (AT DISTRICT LEVEL)
- You are the main interlocutor of HI towards local partners, local authorities, and Team leaders / Coordinators of other NGOs in Cox’s Bazar.
- You share responsibility with the Country Director for representation with field-based representatives of institutional donors.
- You participate actively to coordination and information meetings (UN working groups, NGO coordination fora, TL meeting etc.);
- You represent HI, its activities and programs during visits from HQ, from donors, etc.
- You ensure smooth coordination with the HI mission, especially regarding security management, legal and administrative issues, support interactions…
Responsibility 2: STRATEGY development
- You contribute to the definition of HI’s global strategy for Bangladesh and you lead the definition of the specific strategy for your area of responsibility.
- You ensure the implementation of HI’s strategy, including emergency, early recovery and development interventions.
- You facilitate the organization of surveys and need assessments in your area of responsibility, in collaboration with the Field coordinator, Project Managers and the Technical Unit.
- You contribute to the drafting of project proposals and reports.
- You participate to mission workshops and meetings and, when requested, to regional events and/or HQ events.
Responsibility 3: COORDINATION AND SUPERVISION OF THE HI TEAMS IN THE AREA
- You ensure the coherence and the homogeneity of all projects implemented in Cox’s Bazar area (methodologies, indicators and results follow up);
- You ensure quality of project implementation in accordance with HI’s and donors’ guidelines.
- You guarantee the respect of applicable logistics and administrative procedures, with the assistance of the support services departments;
- You have overall responsibility for the appropriate management and follow up of the budget in your area, with the assistance of the finance department;
- You have overall responsibility for the transparency of procurement and utilisation of all materials and equipment in your area, with the assistance of the finance department;
- You have overall responsibility for the strict application and respect of HI’s General Terms and Conditions of engagement in your area, with the support of the HR department.
- You conduct occasional field visits to the intervention areas in Cox’s Bazar district.
- You ensure that your teams coordinate with each other and with the office in Dhaka.
Responsibility 4: TEAM MANAGEMENT
- You define and follow, with each staff under your direct line management, his Individual Action Plan (IAP) and the time frame to achieve the desired objectives;
- You ensure a good communication, coordination, and information-sharing with each member of your team through regular coordination meetings and individual meetings;
- You are concerned and aware on the personal and professional evolution of each staff under your direct line management. You perform individual interviews and oral and written evaluations;
- You ensure conflict resolution (personal and professional) within your team and inform the Head of Mission and the HR coordination referent of any major conflict;
- You propose relevant adaptations to the organisational chart of the area and contribute to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.), in collaboration with the Country Director and the HR department;
- You support and coach the staff under your line management in the management of their teams: organisation of coordination meetings, individual interviews, etc.
Responsibility 5: CONTEXT FOLLOW UP AND SECURITY MANAGEMENT
- You understand the context of your area of responsibility and collect information on its changes in terms of humanitarian needs and political dimensions.
- You monitor the evolution of the political and security context in your area of responsibility.
- You regularly follow up the evolution of humanitarian needs and access opportunities in your area of responsibility.
- You are the security Focal Point for HI staff in Cox’s Bazar district / or you ensure a security focal point is appointed and known by all staff.
- You ensure the strict respect of any applicable security measures;
- You coordinate implementation at field level of any emergency security procedure in coordination with the Country Director.
Responsibility 6: EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION, ADVOCACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
- You ensure the implementation of HI’s external communication advocacy strategy for Bangladesh in Cox’s Bazar area, in coordination with the Humanitarian Advisor and Country Director;
- You share with your team all public communication products and advocacy products. You ensure that your team is aware of the importance of communication and advocacy for HI and of their potential positive impact for HI’s beneficiaries.
- You ensure strict implementation of the confidentiality policy.
Responsibility 7: Reporting
- You ensure the preparation of internal memos, minutes of meetings and/or reports by your team members, according to the needs of the area and/or the mission;
- You ensure the transmission of key information from the mission coordination team and the HQ to your team members;
- You ensure the respect of the mission’s communication lines and of the roles and responsibilities table (ARCI table) in Cox’s Bazar area;
- You provide informal operational updates to field-based institutional donors when requested, in coordination with the Country Director;
- You provide the Country Director with a mission report and/or handover document and a complete file and e-mail backup at the end of your contract;
- You attend a debriefing session at HQ at the end of your mission
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a Bachelor degree (minimum) in a relevant sector (Humanitarian action, Politics sciences, Development)
- You have at least 6 years of professional experience in humanitarian / emergency contexts
- You have at least 3 years of experience in senior management of field bases and/or programs
- You preferably have an experience in the region and with HI
- You preferably have a solid work experience on one or more core sectors of HI: health/rehabilitation (physical rehabilitation, psychosocial support), emergency responses and disability, age and gender inclusion
- You are fluent in english (oral and written)
- You have a good understanding of logistics, HR, and finance management
- You are organized, rigorous
- You have Strong organizational skills
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
If the security situation was a major concern in the country from 2013 to 2017, following a wave of terror attacks, authorities seem to have effectively taken serious steps in cracking down of militant activities in the country. If the situation progressively improve over the past 3 years, vigilance remains and expatriates are currently only allowed to move by car after night fall and walking in the streets is restricted to specific areas.
In Dhaka, the social movements and Hartals (national strikes) can restrict movements temporarily. The Hill Tracts (Myanmar border and Indian border) are zones where expatriates are not allowed to go except with an authorization from the government. Security in Cox’s Bazar remains sensitive with the presence of a growing number of foreign aid workers and the large numbe of refugee population. Although Bangladesh remains a family duty station in Dhaka, Cox’s Bazar remains a family duty station without schoolchildren (no international schools available outside of Dhaka).
Standard of Living
Dhaka is a large and densly populated metropolis, which is rapidly expanding. In recent years there has been a high increase in the development of shopping malls and restaurant/bar and coffee shop chains. The office and expatriate housing will be located within the diplomatic area, in Gulshan,provided all the required standard of living conditions and comfort level. Public transport options are limited and not accessible for expatriates, so alternative options are provided by Handicap International. Traffic and movement by car within Dhaka can be slow, particularly during rush hours.
Cox’s Bazar is a city located in the coastal area, fishing port and one of the most visited tourist destinations in Bangladesh. There is lot fo resorts, restaurants, bars providing international drink and food as well as specific entertainement such as gym, spa, etc…
Travelling between the differents sites is easy : 1 hour flight Dhaka – Cox’s Bazar and from 1 to 1h30 hours by car within Cox’s Bazar district sites.
- Starting date : April 2020
- Length of the contract: 14 months
- Salary from 2250 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem : 599,60 € net/month
- Hardship allowance : 250€ net/month
- Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 5 days every 3 months
- Status : unaccompanied position
- Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI