Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
HI started its mission in Palestine in 1996, through its participation in the Palestine Priority Programme. Since 2010, HI has been working extensively with rehabilitation service providers in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, on the quality of services, as well as their availability and accessibility, and on developing the basis for effective referral mechanisms. The mission then continued facing a growth of its size both in terms of number of projects and financial volume, and has now a very strong national staff team in the field and developed partnerships with national organizations.
The Palestine mission currently has 3 long term projects with various donors: Inclusive Education (GAC/OFID); Emergency Preparedness and Construction (BMZ/German Government) and Post-emergency Rehabilitation (OCHA/CdCS). These projects range from 1 to 3 years showing a continued programme growth since the aftermath of the 2014 crisis.
The Palestine mission currently has 3 offices (coordination in Jerusalem and sub-offices in Ramallah and Gaza), with the Gaza one currently having the highest number of staff and projects.
The Palestine Mission is part of the Middle East Regional Programme and benefits from direct support and guidance from the Regional Programme team based in Amman, Jordan.
Under the management and in very close coordination and collaboration with the Country Manager based in Jerusalem, you are responsible for the overall management of the HI operations and sub-office in Gaza. You are a key member of the Mission Management Team (MMT). Under the Country Manager’s leadership, the MMT provides the overall management and leadership of all the actions and teams of Humanity & Inclusion’s permanent programme in Palestine.
You will be directly responsible for and take senior responsibilities in the overall strategic and daily management and leadership of the Gaza operations and sub-office. You will also work in very close collaboration with the Regional Coordination Team (RCT) in particular the Regional Technical Unit, Regional Meal Unit and Regional Shared Services.
In this framework you main responsibilities are:
· You are responsible for developing and implementing, in the Gaza strip, the projects part of the Programme operational strategy.
· Under the guidance of the Country Manager and other relevant departments, you deploy all adequate tools that will allow project monitoring, financial controlling and compliance with HI policies and frameworks (in particular HI Project Monitoring & Evaluation policy), and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors.
· You contribute to monitor and analyze context developments in the Gaza Strip, in order to identify operational risks and opportunities, and proposes actions to his/her line management.
· You contribute to organizational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services and ROOTS projects.
· You follow up security management
· You coordinate shared services, technical and operations team on a daily basis to facilitate activities implementation. The team is composed of 13 persons including 3 under your direct management.
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold an advance degree in relevant field (development, humanitarian, disability or related)
- You have minimum of 5 years of professional experience in development or humanitarian contexts
- You have minimum 3 years of experience in project management
- You have a knowledge of donor strategies and rules
- You have planning and management skills
- You show Advanced writing and speaking capacities in English
- You have strong interpersonal and cultural skills.
- You are experimented in security management
- Experience in working in Middle East would be an asset
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
The humanitarian context of the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt) is unique amongst today’s humanitarian crises and remained directly tied to the impact of Occupation, now in its 52nd year. Security and safety conditions in Palestine remain volatile and can quickly evolve. After the last war in Gaza during summer 2014 and uprising in West bank in late 2015, the situation in Palestine and Israel remain highly tense. You will have to comply with security and safety guidelines of the organization in the country.
You are based in Gaza, the living conditions are acceptable, with limited possibilities for extra-professional activities and restrictions on movements. Regular travel may be expected to Jerusalem, as well as potentially within the Middle-East region (regional office is based in Amman, Jordan).
Despite some demanding elements of context (security constraints, limitations of movements…) professional experiences in Gaza and in Palestine are exceptionally interesting and rich. People in Gaza are particularly welcoming, HI has a solid and long term HI presence and experiences and there is a very nice and strong HI team in place.
- Starting date : June 2020
- Length of the contract: 12 months
- Salary from 2757 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem : 731 € net/month
- Hardship allowance : 500€ net/month
- Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 5 days every 6 weeks
- Status : position unaccompanied
- Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI