GGGI recruits 01 Project Lead & CRGE Facility Consultant
Scope of Work
- Lead the overall direction, management & implementation of the readiness project; Coordinate with the Project Manager & Monitoring Specialist (PM&MS) on the day-to-day management of all readiness project activities;
- Oversee and approve the Project action plans and ensure that they are aligned with outputs and outcomes;
- Oversee and approve the preparation of tools such as Log frames, M&E framework(s) and well as SMART indicators that will facilitate the M&E and reporting and make sure that every component of the project is using the same;
- Lead support to the DAE to establish a cross-cutting, multi-stakeholder engagement process, including updating the GCF Country Program, as required;
- Oversee the development of the monitoring and evaluation framework in line with readiness activities in Ethiopia;
- Lead support to the DAE strengthen capacity to meet GCF accreditation upgrading requirements & fulfill accreditation upgrading application procedures;
- Lead support of GCF accreditation application process for Development Bank of Ethiopia (DBE) and build capacity to meet accreditation requirements;
- Oversee revision process of project concept notes [that shall be developed by relevant project experts under this readiness project] for climate change mitigation and adaptation projects in priority sectors; Support finalization of select PCNs for submission to the GCF;
- Oversee the development of new bankable projects under the Ethiopia country program;
- Oversee the relevant project expert(s) responsible for supporting the ensuring of an enabling environment for crowding-in private sector investments at national, regional and international levels;
Under the overall supervision of the NIE/DAE, NDA and GGGI , the Consultant will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Lead Readiness project experts during the initial assessments exercises and throughout the duration of project implementation period;
- Oversee the implementation & delivery of all readiness project activities;
- Strategically guide the PM&MS and project experts and liaising with Government counterparts, as required;
- Oversee the monitoring and tracking of project activities against the approved log frame/work plan;
- Lead additional related activities, as requested by DAE, NDA and/or GGGI (DP).
The Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Leading overall coordination, planning, development and implementation of all readiness project activities in coordination with PM&MS; DAE, NDA and GGGI (DP);
- Ensuring timely & quality delivery of activities for the following outcomes corresponding to the readiness project: Outcome 2 – Country Programming Processes; Outcome 3 – Direct Access to Climate Finance and; Outcome 4 Climate finance strategies and project pipeline strengthened– (refer to Project Log frame for activity details), as well as overall project interventions;
- Overall management of technical activities of the GCF Readiness Secretariat;
- Supporting additional capacity strengthening and GCF Readiness related activities as considered necessary by DAE, NDA and/or GGGI (DP) – not explicitly stated in this section.
- Lead collaboration(s) with DAE, NDA and DP on identified joint activity opportunities to ensure integrated delivery of readiness activities;
- Provide guidance to project experts (team) with evidence and data driven substantive inputs and analyses on country program development;
- Maintain close working relationships with counterparts from DAE and GGGI’s country office in Ethiopia;
- Pursue opportunities to present lessons learned from the programs in the portfolio with external partners and engage in policy dialogue;
- Maintain active professional relations with partner Government and other key stakeholders to capture and integrate their changing green growth needs and manage expectations;
- Work closely with the project inter-ministerial committee (co-chaired by NDA & DAE) to maintain the overall alignment of the project to its intended criteria;
- Lead facilitation of effective communication and decision-making between the DAE, NDA, GGGI and GCF to ensure ongoing stakeholder cohesion and effective process management;
- Lead overall engagement, in collaboration with relevant team expert(s), with private sector to improve the availability of finance for climate change projects and help overcome the dependence on international development partners and government for climate finance.
The Consultant is responsible for the delivery of the following:
- An approved readiness results-based workplan and budget and monitoring framework for the period 2019 – 2020, and any future joint workplans for the GGGI-NDA cooperation;
- Providing guidance to project experts/stakeholders on 1) Any required adjustments to the project workplan 2) Opportunities for innovation and 3) New cooperation and project opportunities resulting in adjusted agreed upon workplans (under the guidance of the Project Lead, the workplan will be regularly adjusted by the PM&MS, in close cooperation with DAE);
- All project deliverables, as agreed upon in the workplan, are delivered within requisite quality, budget and timeline. This includes (but is not limited to) the design and implementation of the GCF Country Program, the GCF policy and process of proposal/concept reviews, the design and development of the GCF project pipeline, all within the identified legal framework of Ethiopia;
- Overseeing the development and continuous utilization of the M&E Framework and tools based on existing monitoring and evaluation practices and aligned with GCF requirements;
- Overall management and tracking of all deliverables as stated in the proposal submitted and approved by the GCF including all GCF related reporting requirements (both financial and technical);
- Maintaining strong professional networks and communication lines with key officials in governments particularly DAE, NDA, relevant CRGE executing ministries and other relevant public and private institutions;
- Overseeing knowledge exchange, capacity building and communication tools are successfully implemented ensuring GGGI’s visibility both in country and internationally. This includes multiple capacity building workshops, high-level multi-stakeholder dialogues, focus group discussions, etc. for the DAE, NDA, as well as GGGI (DP).
- A Master’s degree in relevant fields such as international development, project management, economics, climate change, environmental policy, natural resources management sustainable development, public administration, public finance management, or related field. Certification in program/project development or management is an asset.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in strategy & program development, program & business monitoring & evaluation, resource mobilization, institutional capacity building, institutional management, results based management, climate finance, public financial management and project development and management, ODA related and/or research & data analysis at international organizations, Government/public organizations, NGOs, research institutes and/or private companies;
- Demonstrated solid understanding of the economic, social and environmental aspects relevant to green growth programming in the region;
- Strong experience in policy analysis, advice and capacity development related to climate and/or development finance, and public policy/finance/budget management;
- Strong knowledge of national and subnational governance structures and networks;
- Strong familiarity with developing and utilizing M&E systems for projects;
- Strong experience in collaborating with and coordinating with a cross-section of stakeholders, including government officials at national/subnational levels, development partners and private sector;
- Demonstrated experience in institutional and skill-based capacity development & organizing training sessions and/or capacity building workshops;
- Demonstrated experience of working in the area of environmental management.
- Excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of results-based management, especially in the context of technical assistance projects in developing countries;
- Strong understanding of project cycle management, project implementation and M&E frameworks in developing countries;
- Strong analytical skills including analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and motivational skills and sensitivity to the local environment as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects;
- Ability to oversee and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to review and synthesize information and produce appropriate documents with a strong analytical background, coupled with exceptional strategic thinking skills;
- Proficiency in information and technology proficiency in Microsoft package;
- Ability and willingness to travel within and outside Ethiopia, as required.
- Able to lead project teams strategically and in close collaboration with others;
- Detail-oriented striving for quality and consistency in all outputs and communications;
- Output-oriented, demonstrating creativity, innovation and an entrepreneurial drive;
- Highly-organized and able to effectively and efficiently multi-task and prioritize;
- Comfortable working both in a teams and independently;
- Ability to lead and implement new systems and affect personnel behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
- Excellent command of English and Amharic (both spoken and written) is required.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
NOTE: The consultancy position start date will be dependent on disbursement of funds.