Geneva Call recruits 01 Consultant for: “Assessing Geneva Call regional presence in Senegal (Dakar)”
Background of the Context
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call aims to increase it’s operational presence in West Africa, and more specifically in the Sahel region. It is in this context that Geneva Call has decided to better understand the current dynamics and define the added value and needs for regional office.
Overall objective of the consultancy
- This consultancy will serve as a starting point for Geneva Call’s opening of a regional hub in Dakar-Senegal to carry out an assessment to;
- identify the added value of the opening of a regional office in Dakar to support its existing mission in the Sahel region (Mali and Burkina Faso) and assess the opportunities to expand its operations in West Africa.
- allow Geneva Call to assess the needs in terms of registration, cost and validity, local regulations, salary scale, etc.
- Specific objectives:
- The consultancy will more specifically allow Geneva Call to;
- Assess the added value of a regional presence in terms of fundraising opportunities and networking/partnership with other INGOs;
- Assess the need for registration, including legal, administrative and banking procedures, representation to official stakeholders, and other related tasks including;
a) Registration and legal requirements
b) Different registration options
c) Tax and other related implications
d) Cost analysis of the set up (including security, insurance, cost of living etc.)
e) Terms of employment for International and National Staff according to the Senegalese labour code;
f) Regional and international accessibility (work permits, visa, travelling connection between Dakar and other capital cities)
- Provide specific analysis on the procedures, length, cost and registration validity;
- Provide recommendations and next stesp for Geneva Call.
Expected outcome and results
- A database of donor institutions compiled, including embassies, international organizations, and private donors for the West Africa region.
- A list of INGO/NGO is developed for possible partnership;
- A full list of documents requested for registration and detailed description of the process is gathered;
- A cost analysis of fees and set-up for the establishment of an office for 2 or 3 representatives is done, including a salary-grid for potential national staff and living expenses;
- An assessment of whether Geneva Call can follow up with or without in-country registration is made;
- Alternative options and recommendations are provided in case Geneva Call registration in country is not required, allowing a sustainable representation in the region;
- Identify a law firm to deliver legal advises on GC presence in Senegal.
Prior to the consultancy assignment, an action plan is developed by the candidate and validated by Geneva Call, which will serve as an evaluation to measure the accuracy of the final consolidated report. – A final consolidated report, covering the topics validated in the action plan.
The mission will last 4 to 6 weeks, starting as soon as possible in November 2021.
- Extensive knowledge of context in Sahel Region
- Professional level of English and French
- Prior experience in supporting INGOs in establishing a new mission, ideally a regional hub
- Knowledge of donors that support Geneva Call work (for e.g., ECHO, FCDO, Germany, etc.).
- A proven track record of delivering fundraising success.
- Proven experience of and ability to plan effectively at the organizational level.
- Experience of developing and implementation of strategic plans
- Experience of budgeting and managing resources.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent influencing and relationship building skills.
- Tenacity in seeking results and a high level of representational and negotiation skills.
- Ability to make decisions and take the initiative, as part of managing a complex and varied workload.
- Creative, flexible character and a generator of new ideas.
- Willingness to be self-servicing, with a proven ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
How to apply
Individuals, offices, or firms interested in this consultancy may submit their applications to
Applications must include:
- The CV of the consultant highlighting at least seven (7) years of relevant experience related to the mandate.
- A detailed technical and financial proposal for the indicated consultancy period
Application deadline: November 15, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.