Funding Call for ‘Agriculture Transformation Initiative’ to reduce Tobacco Dependency
Deadline: 17 October 2019
Application has been launched for Agriculture Transformation Initiative inviting researchers and professionals in Malawi to reduce dependency on Tobacco exports.
The mission of the Foundation’s Agricultural Transformation Initiative (ATI) is to prepare smallholder tobacco farmers for an era of significantly reduced demand for tobacco, focusing first on populations with the greatest need. It also aims to strengthen the capacity of researchers and professionals in Malawi in high-priority areas that will help the country transform its agricultural sector by reducing dependence on tobacco exports.
The ATI will use this opportunity to facilitate the establishment of more secure income strategies for farmers and will seek to partner with a diverse set of stakeholders to ensure the success and sustainability of their strategy.
- Higher and more secure income streams, improved food security status, and better overall health for smallholder farmers, their families, and their communities more broadly;
- Increased knowledge and application of cutting edge agricultural science and technology;
- Reduced economic dependence on tobacco and increased resilience for tobacco-growing nations;
- Reduced environmental degradation due to tobacco cultivation;
- Improved nutritional quality and food security status.
- Identify alternatives;
- Enhance productivity;
- Facilitate commercialization;
- Strengthen policy.
- The ATI FSF is offered to Malawian citizens and residents to pursue master’s or postdoctoral study and/or research in the areas of agriculture, business, data science, ecology/environment, economics or engineering.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
For more information please visit https://www.iie.org/en/Programs/The-Agricultural-Transformation-Initiative