FRIDA is recruiting Young Feminist Activists to join its Global Advisory Committee in 2020
Deadline: December 5, 2019
FRIDA is recruiting passionate & committed young feminist activists to join its Global Advisory Committee in 2020. This is an opportunity to join a network of young feminist activists as a member of the advisory board of the only youth led fund.
Founded in 2010, FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund is the only youth-led fund focused exclusively on supporting young feminist activism to advance social justice movements and agendas across the globe. They believe in the collective power, expertise, and innovation of young feminist organizers to address root causes and structures of inequality in order to create lasting change in their communities.
FRIDA relies on its advisors to build spaces of trust, safety, respect and reciprocal accountability when supporting one another and other FRIDA community members in critically reflecting and building on a combined vision for young feminist organizing globally.
Global Advisory Committee
Since its founding, FRIDA | has relied on a Global Advisory Committee made up of young feminist activists from all over the world. These Advisors play a key role in the following areas:
- Facilitating FRIDA’s annual participatory grantmaking process by conducting outreach, screening applications, reviewing final results, supporting with due diligence.
- Supporting with grantee partner capacity strengthening and communication of regional strategic priorities with FRIDA .
- Informing strategic and programmatic decisions in various areas of FRIDA’s organisational mission through thematic and expert input.
- Informing FRIDA’s strategic direction every 5 years.
FRIDA | is committed to meaningful girl engagement in its Global Advisory Committee. In 2015 the first cohort of girl advisors was introduced into the FRIDA | Advisory Committee Structure and incubated as the Girl Advisory Committee within FRIDA. Since 2015 the Girl Advisory has grown to include five (5) more girl advisors.
In a continued commitment to meaningful girl participation and representation in FRIDA governance as well FRIDA’s strategic commitment to increase funding and visibility for girl-led groups, FRIDA | is recruiting new girl advisors as part of its Global Advisory call for 2019-20. Please review the requirements and criteria (Advisor Terms of Responsibility document), and if you are interested please complete the FRIDA | advisory application form by no later than 5 December 2019.
- Grant-making, grantee management support and renewals
- Support the development of outreach and regional strategies and tools
- Communication and community-building
- Advisor recruitment and orientation process
- Accountability and Integrity
- Connecting to a large network of young feminist activists across the globe. Opportunities to contribute to developing FRIDA’s regional and global strategic direction.
- Advisory Committee membership is completely voluntary, and advisors work together with FRIDA staff, particularly the Communities & Culture and Programs Teams.
- FRIDA will support direct travel costs related to participation in Advisory Committee meetings, learning visits and the accompaniment program; and communication costs where necessary and feasible. Active advisors are also eligible to apply for special grants, which may support travel or collaborative feminist work.
- In certain cases advisors may be provided with stipends as compensation for performing non-core duties for FRIDA. Where the scope of advisory work necessitates consultancy fees this will be communicated prior and advisors will be compensated fairly.
- Advisors may also support with thematic work within the advisory, other FRIDA communities and the secretariat. This, however, is subject to review and restructuring as needed.
- They are looking for young feminist activists across two broad age categories:
- Young feminist activists aged 13-19 yo to join Advisory Committee as Girl Advisors
- Young feminist activists under 35 years, at the time of application, to join our Advisory Committee
- Three or more years demonstrated commitment to advancing girls, women, trans and intersex youth rights, equality and non-discrimination and feminist movement building;
- A good command of the English language is important. However, functional competence in English is acceptable, provided that applications are fluent in at least one other widely spoken language within their region.
- A good command of at least one regional and/or local language is desirable but not mandatory