Forus Communications officer
Maternity leave replacement – 4 months – full time
Forus (formerly the International Forum of National NGO Platforms – IFP / FIP) represents more than 22,000 organisations and brings together 69 national development NGO platforms and 7 regional coalitions in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Pacific.
Forus’ main mission is threefold:
- Connect NGO Platforms and Regional Coalitions to build joint actions, learn from each other and fight for an enabling environment for civil society organisations
- Support and develop the capacities of our members for more effective participation in decision-making processes, using the network’s collective intelligence and innovative approaches
- Influence public policies together with our members, by engaging in official negotiations, deliberations and public mobilisations at national, regional and international levels.
Forus is currently looking for a dynamic, motivated and creative person to join our decentralized team and manage Forus’ communication strategy and media work during the maternity leave of the Communications officer.
The ideal candidate would have demonstrated experience in communications (including social media and press relations), as well as proficiency in English, French and Spanish.
Under the direct supervision of Forus’ Executive Director, the Communications officer is responsible to ensure that all internal and external communications are in line with the vision, mission and branding of the network. The Communication officer is working closely with the Secretariat team and Forus’ Executive Committee.
- Develop and implement communications strategy in line with the network’s needs with the guidance of the Director and Forus Executive Committee.
- Manage Forus’ communications with stakeholders and the media and support communications with members
- Create and ensure the good function and use of the communications tools required by Forus regarding external and internal communications (with members).
- Support the Director and Governance of Forus regarding communications needs.
Develop and implement Forus’ communications strategy with the guidance of the Director and Forus Executive Committee
- Develop Forus’ overall communications strategy and tailored approaches for influencing moments, ensuring that strategies are adapted to changes in context
- Assess activities and analyze impact ensuring appropriate monitoring (including media monitoring), evaluation, accountability and learning
- Ensure guidance to Forus staff and working structures on communication issues and publications
- Prepare, monitor and report on the annual budget for communications with the guidance of the Director.
Manage Forus’ communications with stakeholders, media and members
- Develop plans to effectively support and amplify all of Forus’ activities
- Build and maintain key relationships as well as databases in relation to Forus’ communications and media work
- Craft press releases and produce other content to high editorial standards for Forus media work and campaigns and in order to better communicate Forus’ positions to decision-makers and the media
- Coordinate Forus’ communications during specific events including organizing press briefings; preparing spokespeople, etc.
- Facilitate the network’s working group on communications
- Analyze and monitor Forus’ member’s needs in communication and promote members’ work in close cooperation with the other members of the Forus Secretariat.
Create and manage communications tools for external and internal communications
- Analyze, design and initiate technical solutions to improve communication flows between the network and their members.
- Manage, update and maintain Forus’ website and social media tool
- Lead on the development of the Forus Newsletter
- Manage and update database of communications officers/coordinators of the network’s members, of journalists and partners for Forus’ communications
- Oversee capacity-development sessions and organize trainings on communications issues to increase capacities of the staff, members and leaders of Forus and enable greater impact
- Ensure that promotional materials are up-to-date, and that branding is coherent for all assets (Forus presentation, banners, roll ups, etc)
- Prepare and coordinate the design of Forus’ publications (e.g. Annual report, positions, toolkits, etc.).
Support to the Director and Governance of Forus regarding communications needs
- Support the Director and the Chair in their communication needs
- Manage the preparation of communications and presentations for events in which members of the Executive Committee or Council will represent Forus.
Experience / Training
Qualification and Experience
- University degree or equivalent certification in communications or a related field
- Desirable education/training in facilitation, community management, design or equivalent.
Technical Skills/Expertise :
- Strong technical skills in writing, editing and proofreading, social media and online communication.
- Basic graphic design and layout skills for publications.
- Developed networking skills of dealing with the media.
- Knowledge and experience of the sector.
- Knowledge and experience of communication systems and tools.
- Strong Computer Skills especially web and social media related.
Minimum Professional Experience required :
- At least 5-7 years of relevant professional experience in communications, experience in a NGO is an asset.
- Experience designing and coordinating communication strategies and campaigns.
- Experience of working in an international organization and/or a multi-cultural environment would be desirable.
- Fluency in English, French and Spanish.
- Knowledge of Portuguese or Arabic an advantage.
Personal qualities/interpersonal skills :
- Understanding of the socio-cultural, historical, political and economic global context.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others and towards shared objectives in a decentralized team.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and follow through on issues in a timely manner, including in high pressure environments.
- Ability to clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to the members in manner that engage them and allow them to better participate in Forus work.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions, being creative and taking risk.
Conditions of employment:
- Expected contract period: June 15th, 2020 – October 15th, 2020
- Temporary position (maternity leave replacement)
- Location: flexible
- Full time
- Type of contract: depending on location (employment contract preferably, service contract also possible)
- Salary will depend on experience.
How to apply
- Please send your CV (in English) and your cover letter (French AND English versions), including 3 references and salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15th, 2020.
- Please include the position (Communications officer) plus your name in the title of the email.
- The position will be open until filled. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis, thus we encourage early applications.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted by Skype, in French, English and Spanish.