Fondation Terre des Hommes recruits 01 Child Protection Project Manager
Child Protection Project Manager
Position Start Date : 15.04.2019
Duration : 12 months
Location : Yei – South Sudan
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh has been working in South Sudan since 2013. In 2016, following the clashes that took place in the Equatoria Region, Yei River State (Former Central Equatoria State) was identified as zone of major humanitarian concern. At the beginning of 2017, Tdh launched a program in Yei town to improve overall child protection outcomes through an integrated approach, including WASH, FSL and education projects.
Tdh implements a full-scale child protection and psychosocial support project in Yei, aimed at supporting the most vulnerable children affected by the conflict, including unaccompanied and separated children, with case management, social services, direct and targeted support and capacity building of local child protection actors.
The security context in Yei remains concerning and attacks against the civilian population in the rural area happen regularly – leading to displacements of populations and access issues for humanitarian workers. With this context in mind, Tdh will implement Education in Emergency programming in areas within Yei River State with identified needs of support for access to education and with little to no access to humanitarian assistance. The project will deliver a two-fold approach to teacher training, providing regular in-service training and supportive supervision for teachers, in addition to partnering with the Yei Teaching Training College to deliver formal training in pedagogical skills to untrained but active teachers. Tdh will ensure mainstreaming of child protection through training on appropriate context related prevention and response mechanisms for child protection risks.
The Child Protection project manager is working under the supervision of the Field Coordinator in Yei and with the support of the child protection specialist in HQ. S/he is in charge of the direct implementation and supervision of a Child Protection and Education project within Yei town, through case management, PSS, family tracing and reunification, and support to improved education opportunities for vulnerable children.
S/he works in complete line with the project strategy defined for the intervention.
S/he works in close coordination with the governmental and non-governmental agencies, with and the cluster coordination system, to develop, monitor and orientate the project.
S/he works with all relevant authorities at district and community level (civil, religious, police, militaries and all other services) for a better implementation, acceptance and ownership in improving the conditions to protect children.
1. Team Management and Human Resources Management:
- Train and manage Programme staff, recruit and identify if needed
- Create and foster a positive working environment and good team dynamics, including identifying and finding solutions for potential conflicts, support coordination meetings and follow the staff under direct responsibility on a regular basis
- Create conditions for a good flow of operational information (verbal exchanges, e-mails, sitreps, reports, etc.)
- Participate in the field coordination meetings
- Develop his/her team self-reliance and encourage collaboration.
- Lead and manage staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, including regular and constructive feedback.
- Organizes and leads regular team meetings and provides program updates when needed.
2. Project Management:
- Develop, implement and monitors the Child Protection project in the area of responsibility, in accordance with multiple objectives, activities and targets outlined within current donor proposals and in line with projects’ budgets.
- Ensure that activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and proposes, when deemed necessary, amendments to the child protection strategy, in consultation with the Program Coordinator.
- Contribute to the initial and regular assessments of the projects and outcome/impact of activities, and propose adjustments to the project strategy if needed.
- Forecasts and follows up on expenditures related to the project.
- Prepare the project procurement planning and participate in budget revision exercises. Prepare when relevant timely purchase requests in line with the project needs.
- Supports required actions by the administration related to protection team management and supervision.
- Identifies logistic and admin support needs related to the CP project and communicates these to the relevant log/admin support person.
- Follow up on the Child Protection situation and best practices in in Yei specifically and South Sudan generally, and propose adjustments of the project strategy if needed
3. Project Strategy, planning and reporting
- Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator participates in designing strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries and contribute actively in monitoring, evaluation and revision
- Ensure timely and quality donor and internal reporting, and ensure quality monthly data analysis reports are completed.
- Feed information to relevant Tdh colleagues
- Participate in Education and CP assessments in the geographical zone of intervention, or outside as needed.
- Contribute to the development of quality project proposals
- Participate in the review of the strategy for South Sudan
- Contribute to the implementation of Tdh CPMS Institutionalisation Strategy
4. Capacity building
- Coordinates the capacity building support to the CP and Education team, relevant local authorities, and community workers and community groups, as required by the project, specifically on recreational and play activities, PSS, and case management.
- Provide technical support to CP and Education team members as needed.
5. Coordination & Representation
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure integrated implementation of standardised activities.
- Works in close collaboration and consultation with available government structures, non-government actors, cluster system and community representatives
- Coordinate with other departments (programme and support) as necessary.
- Ensure that the project team adheres to all relevant internal and external security protocols and support the CD/SFP to follow the context and security situation in the project areas of implementation
- Represents Tdh in foras and meetings held at community and location level.
- Develops a network to facilitate the project acceptance and stakeholder’s contribution and ownership.
- Participate to the Child Protection Cluster in the area of operations.
- Increase Tdh visibility in terms of Child Protection in South Sudan
- Undertake all other duties that may be determined by the Field Coordinator or the Program Coordinator and that are compatible with the job.
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality – inter Tdh staff and between Tdh staff and non Tdh employees.
- Good project management experience in emergency programmes
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position in the field
- Proven expertise/knowledge/experience in Education and Protection programming
- Good knowledge and experience in project management, including logistics, admin and finance
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and development work
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment and in insecure locations
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator
- Ability to work under pressure
- Advanced IT skills/Office Pack
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of confort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss regulations 2’950 CHF (~2’550 €) < > 4’300 CHF (~3’700 €) net /month according to experience x 13, Holidays: 25 days per year. Local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JANybwcu?idpartenaire=20002
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418