FINISH Mondial Sanitation Challenge Contest 2020 for Innovators from Africa and Asia
Deadline: June 5, 2020
Applications for the FINISH Mondial Sanitation Challenge Contest 2020 are now open. FINISH (Financial Inclusion Improves Sanitation and Health) is an ambitious 6-country WASH programme aiming to sustainably scale up the access and use of safe sanitation in Africa and Asia. This contest is based on the premise that amongst other factors, lack of sanitation coverage (in rural populations of developing countries), is due to lack of innovation on cost reductions, to make them more accessible to the masses.
They invite you to rise to the challenge and propose an ‘innovation’ in one or more of the components of an onsite sanitation system to facilitate the installation and usage of toilets in developing countries, preferable in one the FINISH Mondial countries (India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania & Ethiopia).
The innovation can be created through novel design and/or novel choice of materials used and/or a new process and/or any other component that will help to reduce the cost of a sanitation system. You can also propose a new and complete model of a sanitation system for a specific location in a country.
- First prize: €3,000 + actual implementation of your solution in one of the FINISH Mondial countries (other than the country you have first worked out the solution).
- Second prize: €2,000
- Third prize: €1,000
- A sanitation system comprises a super-structure (the “house”), a meso-structure (slab/pan/seat) and a sub-structure. For each of these categories the solution may apply.
- As part of the competition, technical designs, instrumentation, graphic presentation and bill of quantities of different solutions will be part of the competition package.
- They are looking for ‘cost reduction in sanitation’ in one or more of the three following elements: Super-structure; Meso-structure; Sub-structure.
- Cost reduction in material use, including use of cheap but quality materials
- Cost reduction in terms of less wastage
- Cost reduction in terms of less number of people engaged (Time or absolute number)
- Speed (time) of construction that lead to reduction of cost
- Simplicity of construction /installation of (part of) a sanitation system
- Consideration of sludge management (such as simplicity of emptying, onsite treatment etc.)
- Climate elements (water usage and carbon footprint of materials used)
- Suitability for the environment and context it is designed for
- Amenability to local modifications
- Aesthetics and appeal
Applicants must prepare the following deliverables:
- A detailed design that best explains your ideas. This could be in the form of technical drawings, 3D virtual models, sketches presented in the form of jpg, pdf, jpgs, mov or other widely used format. Save the file under the name “Last Name_Design_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- A detailed calculation of the cost saved. Save the file under the name “Last Name_Cost_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- The list of assumptions – of location, whom it is meant for, soil and weather conditions. Save the file under the name “Last Name_Assumptions_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
Send files to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your solution here!