Expertise France recrute 01 Programme Manager / Marine biodiversity
Country or Region Sint Maarten
Duration 12 months, renewable until 2022 (full time)
Deadline for submission of CV 15/09/2018
Project reference 18DDU0C052
Programme description The Caribbean OCTs Resilience, Sustainable Energy and Marine Biodiversity Programme (ReSEMBiD) is financed under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) Caribbean OCT Regional Programme. The primary stakeholders are the 12 Caribbean OCTs:
- Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands
- Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
The Prime Minister of Sint Maarten has been designated Regional Authorising Officer (RAO) for the 11th EDF Caribbean Regional Programme, and as such represents the 12 Caribbean OCTs vis-à-vis the EU. The RAO liaises with national authorities and other stakeholders of the Caribbean OCTs and plays a key role in information sharing and knowledge management.
Various stakeholders can be identified in the individual OCTs: governmental representatives, NGOs, focal points for the regional programme and departmental staff dealing with resilience, climate change adaptation, disaster preparedness, energy and biodiversity, research and/or educational institutes, gender groups, private sector.
The Programme will be implemented throughout the twelve Caribbean OCTs, though specific locations of the activities will be determined as formulation and implementation begin. The programme team is based at Sint Maarten and supported by Expertise France Headquarters in Paris, France.
The overall objective of the Programme is to support the sustainable human development efforts of the Caribbean OCTs. Operational objectives will be formulated further to a consultation process with the Caribbean OCTs, and will be based on the three component pillars of the Programme as signified below.
- Sustainable Energy: To increase energy efficiency of infrastructures with high impact on energy consumption ;
- Marine biodiversity: To improve protection and sustainable management of marine biodiversity in OCTs ;
- Resilience: To increase the resilience of Caribbean OCTs to adapt to extreme and recurrent natural events (cross-cutting component).
Expertise France aims to contribute to the sustainable human development of Caribbean OCTs. Building resilience to the effects of climate change, striving towards a low carbon economy and protecting marine biodiversity will contribute to sustainable socio-economic development in the Region, including gender equality.
Programme formulation, design and implementation will stress a participatory approach. From the outset, a deliberate effort will be made to include all appropriate stakeholders (immediate beneficiaries, civil society, government, the private sector, other development partners, donors.). Full active involvement of beneficiaries is also considered a key prerequisite to ensure change that is owned, internalised and sustainable, and will be a key indicator of the success of the Programme.
The aforementioned principles will be important considerations in the assessment of candidates’ suitability.
The Programme team will be structured as follows:
- Based at St Maarten and serving the 12 OCTs:
- Programme Director
- 4 Programme Managers
- Manager, Communications and Visibility
- Manager, Finance and Administration
- Assistant, Finance and Administration
- Grant Officer
- Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Technical specialists
- In Paris (EF Headquarters):
- Director, Sustainable Development Department
- Head, Sector Unit
- Project Manager
- Assistant Project Manager
Short-term expertise will also be deployed as needed.
With the guidance and support of the Programme Director and with the backstopping of the Project Manager at HQ, the Programme Manager will have two central responsibilities:
- Provide the best and most appropriate technical advice to stakeholders throughout the formulation, design, implementation and evaluation(s) of the Programme;
- Ensure the effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the Programme, in line with relevant workplan(s) and applicable policies.
She/he will travel to the different OCTs as needed, in order to ensure meaningful support to OCTs, delivery oversight and management feedback.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities include the following:
- Project Management:
- Ensures, and is accountable for, timely, effective and compliant delivery of portfolio under her/his responsibility;
- Monitors implementation specifically against workplan, and produces periodic progress reports, flagging issues requiring attention;
- Maintains monitoring check on substantive direction of portfolio, anticipating bottlenecks, new opportunities, recommended adjustments;
- Situates portfolio under her/his responsibility in the larger context of the Programme, mindful of need to achieve strategic programmatic impact and works in close horizontal collaboration with other team members;
- Participates and actively contributes to the work of Thematic Clusters;
- Manages the procurement process (drafting TOR, launching tenders, evaluating offers, preparing contracts, etc.) when foreseen in the implementation of project activities;
- Contributes to the evaluation of grant/procurement tenders;
- In liaison with the MEAL expert, coordinates the evaluation and accountability feedback of projects;
- Fosters regional dialogue, contributing to synergies between the different activities and stakeholders;
- Facilitates best-practice sharing;
- Coordinates the elaboration of vulnerability profiles and co-leads the development of a regional strategy;
- Participates in the capacity building activities of project beneficiaries.
- Technical Advisory
- Jointly with ReSEMBiD colleagues, provides authoritative and most appropriate technical advice in own primary sector/field of expertise to stakeholders at country and/or regional level to contribute to effective programme formulation and design in the first instance, and effective delivery subsequently;
- Produces situation analyses and identifies key opportunities and partners to advance programme planning at country and/or regional level;
- Conducts desk reviews to identify existing relevant knowledge, and identifies critical information gaps; balances need for evidence-based programming with pragmatic focus on action and delivery;
- Leads proactively in own area of expertise within ReSEMBiD team discussion; raises innovative ideas and shares knowledge and developments in sector;
- Thinks and works with a cross-cutting outlook at all times, within and outwith the team, to ensure cross-fertilisation and mainstreaming of Programme’s strategic objectives and overall impact;
- Acts as technical adviser in area of primary expertise to Programme Director.
- Representation and Negotiation:
- Develops and nurtures excellent relations with authorities, and other international and local implementing agents and stakeholders in the field, establishing credibility and trust;
- Proactively ensures coordination, cooperation and information exchange with other development partners active in the region;
- Represents ReSEMBiD and EF in formal events when needed;
- Contributes to briefings and writes speeches as requested;
- Works closely with Manager, Communications and Visibility to ensure coordination and active involvement in the communications and visibility activities of the Programme;
- Is keenly aware that she/he is the public face of ReSEMBiD and Expertise France, and at all times comports herself/himself so as to develop and maintain trust and credibility accordingly.