Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine announces 2019 Call for Research Proposals
Deadline: 18 April 2019
The Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine has announced a new Call for Research Proposals under the Department’s Research FundingProgrammes.
The principal objectives of DAFM’s Competitive Call for Research Proposals 2019 are to:
- Maximise the economic and societal impact of the state funded research and innovation and resources, by developing and deepening effective research collaborations in and leveraging of additional national & EU funds through DAFM’s three competitive programmes:
- Food Institutional Research Measure
- Research Stimulus Fund
- Programme of Competitive Forest Research for Development
- Provide research and innovation opportunities for early stage researchers in relation to agri-food, seafood, forestry, rural economy and the bioeconomy.
- Inspire the future generation of students and train and educate a cohort of professionals and scientists at MSc, PhD and post-doctoral level that will take up high-value employment in government, State agencies, academia, Multi-National Companies (MNCs) and Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) based in Ireland.
- Form effective partnerships with farmers, foresters, industry, regulatory groups and others to work on/inform challenging problems and facilitate transfer of technology, expertise, know-how and knowledge exchange among the participants, including through the establishment of thematic networks and/or other appropriate methods of knowledge transfer.
- Deliver research excellence with impact which will be aligned with areas of strategic opportunity for Ireland and the EU and also, where relevant, help address the challenge setout in the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Climate Change Agreement.
- Foster impactful innovation by supporting challenged based and industry-informed research between academia and the agri-food and bioeconomy industry.
- Engage the general public and equip them with the tools to confidently understand and debate agri-food, forestry, seafood, rural economy and the bioeconomy research and innovation in Ireland.
The Call invites eligible Research Performing Organisations to submit collaborative research proposals directed at addressing current priority issues across the following four thematic areas that span the entire agri-food, forest and bioeconomy sector:
- Environment & Climate Smart Approaches to Agri-Food Systems
- Animal and Plant Production, One Health & Welfare
- Rural Growth, Digitalisation and the Bio-economy
- Only RPOs (Research Performing Organisations) within the Republic of Ireland that are approved by DAFM in advance of the opening of any competitive grant Call that DAFM is operating or participating in will be eligible for grant aid from DAFM in that Call.
- Approved institutions eligible to apply for funding under these programmes are those that fall within the meaning of Section One of the HEA Act, 1971 (e.g. Universities & Institutes of Technology, Teagasc, The Marine Institute, Irish Cattle Breeding Federation, BirdWatch Ireland and the National Botanic Gardens). Having Lead or Partner status allows an RPO to apply for funding under these programmes and, if successful, confers on it, and/or the researchers involved, certain rights and obligations relating to authorship of scientific publications and intellectual property arising from the research funded.
- Research Institutions must be an approved RPO at the time of the launch of the Call.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2019/march/title,124972,en.html