DanChurchAid (DCA) recruits 01 Country Director for the Central African Republic (CAR)
Are you looking for an opportunity to lead a team of humanitarian and mine action professionals in one of the world’s most challenging contexts? Can you lead an established programme to excellence and growth, and ensure quality and accountability?
As our new Country Director, you will lead the DCA country team of 45 national and 6 international staff, and you will inspire and lead the strategic direction and organizational development of the programme. You will be responsible for nurturing relations with national authorities, donors and other stakeholders, as well as for identifying fundraising opportunities and ensuring a strong focus on security management and duty of care for staff.
DCA CAR Programme
DCAs programme in CAR has opened in 2015. DCA CAR seeks to contribute to the protection of life and dignity in the Central African Republic by reducing threats to communities’ safety resulting from armed violence and conflict and by improving their access to economic opportunities and psychosocial support and by advocating for equal human rights. Programme activities include vouchers (for food), seeds and tools distribution, cash for work, NFIs distribution, risk education, armed violence reduction, income generating activities, psychosocial support, capacity building of national civil society organizations.
We apply a people-centered approach to tackle interlinked humanitarian and security needs, and aim to build positive relationships between communities, authorities and institutions, to improve community safety and encourage the development of local economies. At the center of our work is our belief that local communities are the best agents of change.
Key responsibilities of the Country Director include:
- Overall leadership and management of the country programme
- To define and implement DCA’s country strategy and develop the country programme
- To resource the vision and strategy and pave the way for growth
- To ensure delivery with relevance, effectiveness, transparency and accountability in all areas of work including all relevant country office performance indicators
- To lead and mentor our team of dedicated international and national staff
- To represent DCA in CAR towards national and local authorities, international and national humanitarian stakeholders and communities
- To manage donor, grant and stakeholder relationships
Experience / Training
- Minimum 5 years leadership experience at a similar level, preferably in complex humanitarian environments
- Strong programme implementation experience and the ability to make things happen under trying circumstances
- Strong communications skills, both spoken and written.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
- Strong ability to plan, coordinate and lead processes that include multiple stakeholders and interests
- Proven ability to mentor, coach and develop staff, and create a conducive working environment
- Experience with fundraising, networking, donor liaison and coordination.
- Strong analytical skills and capacity
- Good command and interest in grants and financial management and compliance
- Cultural sensitivity, strong communication and diplomatic skills, with the ability to build relations both within and outside DCA
- A relevant academic qualification
- Experience from the country or near region is an added advantage
- A one-year renewable contract
- Non-family posting based in Bangui with in-country travel
- A competitive salary package, including hardship and cost of living allowance, to be negotiated based on experience level
- 6 weeks of paid vacation and a generous R&R package
- Insurance as per industry standards
- An opportunity to make a difference in a challenging environment and improve the lives of people living in conflict and poverty
Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applications in English and consisting as a minimum of a CV and a cover letter will be considered, and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that only applications submitted through our recruitment system will be considered: https://www.danchurchaid.org/join-us/jobs/international-vacancies.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding policy.
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
How to apply
To apply please upload your CV and cover letter no later than November 29th, 2020. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, and DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the deadline.
only applications uploaded through the DCA website are taken into consideration.
For further information regarding this position, please contact Catherine Goudouneix, Programme Coordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on DCA please visit our website, http://www.danchurchaid.org