TITLE : Program Officer Country
REPORTS TO : Representative
START DATE : Immediately International
LOCATION : Dakar, Senegal
Counterpart International is a global development organization that ‘ empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For over 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
Counterpart International Senegal manages projects funded by the USG to conduct activities focused on reducing food insecurity and improving access to primary education. In Senegal Counterpart is currently implementing two projects. The first is a USDA funded Food for Education project in the Region of Saint Louis, working with the school management committees and education authorities of 270 primary and preschools. The second project is a USAID-funded project, Yaajeende, to which Counterpart is a subcontractor to NCBA CLUSA. Counterpart leads the nutrition component of the project in Matam, Kolda, Bakel and Kedougou Regions.
Specific project activities include improved caretaker practices in health and nutrition, increased nutritional support to vulnerable populations, improved agricultural practices, improved livelihoods and access to markets and credit, and increasing attendance at primary schools.
DUTIES MP RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Support Counterpart International’s Country Representative (CR) and the two Program Managers (the Food for Education Saint Louis Program Manager and the Yaajeende Nutrition Specialist) in, promoting, assisting, monitoring and troubleshooting on-going project implementation
- Coordinate program planning between the main country office in Dakar and field offices, and between the Dakar office and Counterpart headquarters.
- Support Country Rep and PMs in developing detailed work plans and budgets that conform to project design and agreements, and work with teams to update these plans on a quarterly basis.
- Support CR in reviewing and approving the timely preparation and submission of reports, including work and implementation plans; project baselines and evaluations results reports; logistics, monetization and direct food commodity distribution reports; board updates; field assessments, quarterly reports etc.
- Support monitoring program activities and budgets to ensure activities are conducted according to work plans, ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities in meeting program objectives, compliance with donor and Counterpart policies, troubleshooting and recommending alternative activities when appropriate.
- Under CR leadership responsible for working on all programmatic aspects of the planning (activity planning, budgeting), execution (monitoring) and reporting of the Food for Education program and the Yaajeende program.
- Support CR in facilitating coordination among projects to ensure synergy and leverage resources.
- Coordinate and direct communication and publicity for the country portfolio, and initiate regular communication with donors and stakeholders as requested by the Country Representative, including gathering information and writing success stories.
- Support CR in coordinating logistics of food commodities, including commodity call forwards and transportation of commodities from US to field office in collaboration with the Country Representative.
- Support Country Representative in identifying opportunities for new program development and assist in proposal development, as needed
- Complete other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in international development in Africa,
- Demonstrated capability in technical, personnel, finance and program management.
- Ability to travel to the field frequently; work in a team and under pressure in a complex environment.
- Knowledgeable of USDA and USAID rules and regulations including Regulation
- Computer skills, including extensive experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and to work with remotely located staff.
- Ideal candidate would display a proactive approach, positive demeanor and personality, influencer, strong advocate for integrity and ethical behavior.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member, ability to build rapport and collaborate with diverse groups and departments is key.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with Ultipro is a plus or any HRIS platform.
- Fluency in English and French is required.
- Advanced degree in nutrition, agriculture, international development or related field of study.
- Experience in a donor environment or international organization with food security and nutrition programs.
TO APPLY :
Individuals interested in working with Counterpart International on this project should apply at:email@example.com by submitting resume and cover letter no later than August 25,2016. Please indicate « Program Officer » in the subject of the email.
« Counterpart International strongly believes in equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, veteran’s status, age, marital status, sexual preference, disability or any other protected personal characteristic »