About the role
This is a 24 months role with accompanied terms based in Niamey, Niger with 40% of the time scheduled and spent in the programme areas of Tahoua and potentially other programme areas (Tillabéri/Diffa), with a salary of Grade 4 € 41,603.52 to 46,226.48.
You will report to the Programme Director and will liaise with System Director, Livelihoods and Resilience Advisor, ERNE Coordinator, Education Advisor, Grant Officer, Regional Coordinator Tahoua, Gender, Equality & CHS manager, MEAL Coordinator and field based Nutrition Project Managers. You will also liaise regularly with the Health and Nutrition Advisor in HQ.
We would like you to start in January 2021. The current post holder will be available for handover.
The Health and Nutrition Advisor is responsible for providing technical and strategic support to nutrition programming for Concern in Niger. In particular, the Health and Nutrition Advisor will play a key role in ensuring the quality implementation of health and nutrition activities within the Enhanced Nutrition Responses in Emergencies (ERNE) Programme. The Health and Nutrition Advisor will also play a key role in understanding, through liaising with external nutrition stakeholders and other sources of information, the evolving socio-economic context in the country and suggesting adaptations to the project as the situation changes.
- Programme implementation
- Ensure that health and nutrition projects are implemented in line with global technical and quality standards;
- Ensure timely, accurate and high quality reporting (internal and external donor reports);
- Ensure technical quality detailed implementation activity plans ;
- Advise project managers on project budgets relating to health and nutrition ;
- In collaboration with the M&E Coordinator guide the health and nutrition teams to develop and implement robust systems for monitoring activities, guide the adaptation of activities based on the data gathered;
- In collaboration with the M&E Coordinator support with nutrition survey design and execution ;
- Participate in the recruitment and induction of health and nutrition staff and consultants.
- Capacity Building of Nutrition Staff
- In collaboration with the project coordinators and managers identify staff training needs (health, nutrition, nutrition sensitive WASH, community mobilisation) ;
- Provide capacity building through on the job mentoring, training sessions and/or coaching (remote and in person) ;
- Develop job aids and tools to support project staff with the implementation of activities ;
- Strategy and new program development
- Lead on identification of funding opportunities in line with the health and nutrition strategy ;
- Elaborate funding proposals in collaboration with programmes staff, ensuring that funding proposals are in accordance with country and global strategies and policies ;
- As indicated, update the Concern Niger’s health & nutrition strategy and advocacy actions in line with the Country Strategic Plan and Concern Worldwide Health and Nutrition Strategies.
- Nutrition Coordination and Technical Representation
- Participate actively in the Nutrition Cluster and Sub-cluster nutriton working groups;
- In collaboration with Concerns National CMAM Surge Expert lead the CMAM Surge National Taskforce in coordination with the Direction de la Nutrition ;
- Participate in the CMAM Surge Regional (Sahel) Taskforce ;
- Participate actively in the Nutrition ECHO Alliance ;
- Work closely with the Concern Worldwide’s Health and Nutrition HQ Support Unit to document and share learning from Niger’s health and nutrition programming ;
- Enhance collaboration with other technical departments to support integrated programming and improve impact ;
- Represent Concern at national level Ministry of Health planning and review forums (participation in bi-annual health reviews, annual health planning, MoH – Partner meetings, etc.)
- Participate in Government of Niger and Ministry of Public Health strategy development, policy making, and technical discussions.
- Ensure the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever acquired in the course of duty, relating to the practices and business of Concern Worldwide, to any other person or Organization without authority, except in normal execution of the above duties
- Ensure strict guardianship and security of financial data and documents at all times, including secure storage, accurate & complete filing and limiting access to the finance office to authorised personnel only
- Ensure strict adherence to Concern Niger Financial Procedures and Fraud Policy and remaining within the boundaries of these policies at all times
- Ensure adherence to Concern’s Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Contribute to and ensure that the Niger programme delivers on its accountability commitments.
- Ensure the programme is in line with Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) by ensuring communication, information sharing within the programme and promoting participation of staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders to all the steps of the programme cycle.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Masters in Nutrition, Public Health or equivalent qualification.
- At least 3 – 5 years of experience with INGOs in technical support and/or programme management in a nutrition and/or health sector setting
- Direct experience in planning, implementing and measuring the impact of health, nutrition, behaviour change, hunger reduction or other related programmes
- Experience in CMAM and CMAM Surge approach
- Experience in working with partner organizations, line ministries, networking and donor relations
- Success in developing proposals and securing funding from donors
- Clear commitment to, and experience with, developing and coaching staff, combined with the ability to give direct actionable feedback.
- Proven ability to work independently and under own initiative
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Credibility to represent the organisation to government bodies and donors
- Ability to speak and write clear French and good level of English
- Willingness to travel to rural areas (40% of time)
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Competence in the use of SPSS or other statistical software and survey methods desirable
To apply: CVs should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. Due to the urgency of this position we may offer this post before the closing date.
Les candidatures en français sont les bienvenues.
Concern is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all section of the community