Deadline: 10 December 2019
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) is inviting submissions from eligible institutions in the COMESA region which are providing climate change-related education, technical and policy research, training and other climate change related services.
The objective of the assignment is to build Climate Change capacity in the region specifically in one or more of the following areas of (but not limited to):
- implementation of the Paris Agreement;
- transparency and reporting;
- ecosystem-based Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) solutions;
- disaster risk management;
- climate change leadership.
The funding envelope available for this call is EUR 209,090 in the form of a grant, and COMESA is seeking proposals for projects and programmes not exceeding that amount.
The selected institution(s) will be required to:
- Undertake capacity needs assessment for selected institution(s) with regard to the skills and competences required for achieving defined objectives in terms of climate changerelated service delivery;
- From the capacity needs assessment in (a) above, develop a relevant tailor-made programme (curriculum) for capacity building for delivery in response to this call;
- From (b) above, implement the tailor-made capacity building programme/curriculum. This will cover training relevant staff from the selected institutions;
- Provide services and/or programme support to meet some of the region’s needs with regard to implementation of the Paris Agreement and/or SDG 13 “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts”, in line with the region’s priorities;
- Produce and disseminate customized technical and policy briefs on climate change;
- Ensure the sustainability of the curriculum through advocating for mainstreaming and continuity of the programme upon the end of the project.
The project has 6 Results as highlighted below:
- Result 1: COMESA has dedicated operational and institutional capacity to support the needs of its Member States in relevant Intra-ACP GCCA+ priority areas, climate change negotiations and implementation of the Paris Agreement; in particular, the capacity of the COMESA Climate Change Unit is enhanced to ensure achievement of programme results and, beyond the duration and scope of the programme, to sustain capacity to provide climate-related support to Member States.
- Result 2: Regional and national climate change strategies and priorities that contribute to the implementation of the Paris Agreement (including NDCs) have been strengthened and supported in their implementation.
- Result 3: The implementation of climate-smart agriculture (CSA) projects including landscape- and ecosystem-based solutions is scaled up in 5 Member states.
- Result 4: Strategic dialogue between COMESA countries is strengthened, and negotiation capacity built, to share information and knowledge about climate action with the aim of promoting cooperation between COMESA countries.
- Result 5: The capacity of technical institutions, universities and regional centres that provide capacity building support and research and innovation services to undertake adaption and mitigation actions in the COMESA region and its Member States is strengthened.
- Result 6: Innovative approaches that assist COMESA countries to access and mobilise climate finance for adaption, mitigation, technology development and transfer and capacity building, from both the public and private sectors, are supported
- This call for proposals is open to all eligible beneficiaries in the COMESA region including technical institutions, universities and regional centers. Proposals must demonstrate value addition beyond the regular curriculum in existence.
- Proposals from consortia are allowed, as long as all members of the consortium are eligible beneficiaries from the COMESA Member States.
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/2XCQXIX